Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 901 shifter refresh...What's going on in here?

901 shifter refresh...What's going on in here?

I have a 5spd 1970 911T and the shifter feel is bad. It seems to go into each gear without much fuss (though I do get a grind in 1st if I’m not careful), but there’s no telling where a gear could be, and the knob hits my leg in first and reverse.

I took it apart and found that one of the bushings was destroyed and sitting in the tunnel. At this point, I want to make sure I replace every single item that contributes to slop, so I’m trying to figure out what I have and what’s possible (before going as far as a 915 or Rennshift).

I plan to replace the plastic bits as a matter of course. I have one for the bottom of the spring (13), one embedded in the top of the spring (11), and what I believe is a cracked friction ring (13 on the second diagram).

What are these “return springs” (19) I don’t seem to have? Pawl (18)? Roll pin (20)? Should I add them to my car?

Anything else I should replacing or inspecting? Probably that stop plate (14)?

Last edited by Tremelune; 08-03-2021 at 01:54 PM.

With regard to the coupler...My car seems to have fresh factory bushings, which means they're a bit oblong and there is both side-to-side as well as fore-and-aft play. Part of me wants to replace this coupler with a solid one, but I fear an increase in NVH. I'm also aware of a harder compound insert that isn't oblong. Really, I wouldn't mind leaving whatever's there to avoid going through the finicky adjustment...

In addition to that bushing play, there seems to be some play between the rod exiting the bulkhead and the transmission itself before it begins to move gears around...I don't suppose there's anything I can do about that? I think i just convinced myself to skip the coupler this time around, and see what happens with the new shifter bits.

It looks like I'm in the market for a couple weird boots, though...

I'm pretty sure you are going to need/want to re-adjust the coupler after replacing all the bushings at the front end. So if it were me, I'd install better coupler bushings as well. I got a pair for my '72T from JimmyT, round holes and firmer plastic/nylon. I noticed no change in NVH, but did see a small improvement in shift quality. (I did them separately from everything else, so the difference was definitely the bushings.)

FS: 911 Shift Coupler Bushing, 911.424.223.03
    Last edited by Arne; 08-03-2021 at 06:28 PM.
    - Arne
    Current - 2018 718 Cayman, Rhodium Silver, PDK

Sold - 1972 911T coupe, Silver Metallic; 1984 911 Carrera coupe, Chiffon white; 1973 914 2.0, Saturn Yellow; 1984 944, Silver Metallic

Some more bits...Looks like the bearing bracket is a bit knackered...Does that matter? Any reason why there's only one captive nut?? Mine only had one bolt through those two holes...I suppose I could weld one on...

I'll replace any component, I just want to make sure I don't replace it with an inferior part, if i can avoid it...

Okay, parts ordered. I couldn't wait the two weeks for a new bearing carrier, so I'll just weld a captive nut on, cleanup the edges a bit, and hope it won't bang into anything anymore!

The pawl, pin, and return springs didn't seem to exist on Pelican, so I figure I'd punt on that. I'm not sure if they exist at all...

Message in to JimmyT for the new coupler bushings.

Hello, went through this a couple of months ago. I think you are on a good path. Looking at your stop plate it looks pretty worn (mine was too). Was able to find a source that had new plates. Along with all new bushings my shifter is now as tight as it can be. There are some zero play couplers out there but mixed reviews regarding potential vibration increases, I believe the stock or improved material stock design works just fine. Maybe Delrin. Looking at your pictures and maybe it is just the camera angle but it looks like there is some clearance in the shaft/bushings that does not look normal, again this could just be the light playing tricks. On reassembly the springs can be fun, there are some good threads on ideas to make this safe and easy.
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Tremelune View Post
    Okay, parts ordered. I couldn't wait the two weeks for a new bearing carrier, so I'll just weld a captive nut on, cleanup the edges a bit, and hope it won't bang into anything anymore!

The pawl, pin, and return springs didn't seem to exist on Pelican, so I figure I'd punt on that. I'm not sure if they exist at all...

Message in to JimmyT for the new coupler bushings.
    Your missing pieces are only for a 72 915 shifter, not your 70.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

What do the initials "NVH" stand for? By the way, nice clear photographs, what camera did you use?

I would replace the shift coupler with one from Wevo or Stomski, much less slop than the original Porsche even with new bushings.

https://www.wevo.com/Products/Shifte...J-911Stock.htm

https://www.stomskiracing.com/produc...-shift-coupler

You should also replace your spring (#13) if you did not order one. This with all the bushings should help reduce the slop

Quote Originally Posted by mathieulecomte View Post
    I would replace the shift coupler with one from Wevo or Stomski, much less slop than the original Porsche even with new bushings.

https://www.wevo.com/Products/Shifte...J-911Stock.htm

https://www.stomskiracing.com/produc...-shift-coupler

You should also replace your spring (#13) if you did not order one. This with all the bushings should help reduce the slop
    +1 on #13 you will be surprised the difference in free length after 50 yrs, and you will not regret buying either of the couplers, I am a fan of the Stromski

Best Regards