Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: FS: Early Tool Bag

Quote Originally Posted by Soterik View Post
    Imho...the cars came from the factory with the kits. Dealers may have pulled them out of the cars and placed them on the shelf to be later introduced back with a sold car, but I believe this is the exception rather than the rule.

This started (imho) as the mechanics in the dealership were pilfering tools for their own tool chests to work on cars....as some of the tools were Porsche specific. I believe this started with the 356 A's as they had a lug wrench that was far handier than what they were otherwise using.

A side note that all the cars my dad imported came with toolkits. I remember one Porsche in 1967 or 68 coming without a kit (stolen or otherwise) and dad had to order a spare. I still have the order for that kit and the receipt from Porsche for it (someplace...)

YMMV!

Eric
    +1...just makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Haasman View Post
    Yes, correct or they were kept in the Sales Manager's office typically in large envelopes with the stock number and VIN written on the outside.
    How convenient to quote iconic Chuck Stoddard who just passed away and can no longer comment. Sorry...really .sick joke I know...and I don't doubt Chuck said this...but for what period, what time. Again, I can believe this was the case from time to time over the years. Thanks.

-Allen-

1968 pre delivery checklist might help and confirms Eric's point.

See C.2.

Screenshot_20200118-023320~3.jpg

Maybe there was a prior work instruction in the delivery procedure the step before that saying:
    1. go to sales manager's cupboard take some toolkit and jack from his stash and hide them under the luggage compartment mat for your colleague to find

Pretty sure I have similar checklists including one for my 73 car but not to hand but hopefully this example is a useful fact from Porsche literature.

Delivery mode varied by geography so no one size fits all. Different preparation for shipping such as waxing in code on fahrzeug-auftrag too.

For example: Seven cars being delivered to UK importer direct from factory on Express Auto transporter the company had a long term contract. Patterns of " shortcomings" reported in the tear off return at bottom would've been easy for operations folks to investigate and take action on.

IMG_20200108_232652.jpg

At one point as a young pup I worked for an oil major in their London HQ and there was something for recording and reporting dip stick losses in tankers etc during transport. I was told depending on temperature etc etc dip stick readings can vary up or down ....interestingly it wasn't called dip losses or gains ... only dip losses. Even as a wet behind the ears kid I got the impression ...not smart for Knightsbridge HQ based young operations folks in suits to probe such things further... managed to survive that role with all limbs intact despite at times visiting some pretty hairy remote depot locations!

Steve
    Last edited by 911MRP; 01-17-2020 at 06:34 PM.

CraigF, that’s the nicest 64/65 bag I’ve seen. Looks brand new. 911MRP, thanks for sharing that cool photo of the delivery truck. I love the two sided Porsche sign with the wall mount. Very cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Henderson View Post
    +1 Anthony..keep finding good ones. Thanks and Happy Holidays !
    -Allen-
    PS Anthony, a 356 kits does not have an 9 x 10 open end wrench; must have been a typo?
    PPS Anthony IF you find a JORG 1661 with a "circle 7" on the tip, as per the attached image, I will pay you BIG BUCK$ for it ! Thanks!
    Allen- they are out there. I added this kit this week for a patina first paint 356 I have. (It has a kit but I liked the honest patina looks of this one once I replace the fan belt with an original). And with the circle 7 screw driver.

C6028814-6F77-422C-9D9B-33B061E281B9.jpeg
    Last edited by rower; 01-20-2020 at 07:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rower View Post
    Allen- they are out there. I added this kit this week for a patina first paint 356 I have. (It has a kit but I liked the honest patina looks of this one once I replace the fan belt with an original). And with the circle 7 screw driver.

C6028814-6F77-422C-9D9B-33B061E281B9.jpeg
    Nice kit for your A. I know the seller, a good friend, good guy. Thanks.

-Allen-

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Henderson View Post
    Nice kit for your A. I know the seller, a good friend, good guy. Thanks.

-Allen-
    Yes he seems like a nice and knowledgeable guy. Very easy to deal with and passionate about kits!
    I plan to meet him on one of my trips.
    Last edited by rower; 01-21-2020 at 10:04 AM.