Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ready-Set-Go....

Ok, it’s time to stick my tail between my legs and admit I’m stumped. Everything is set to drop the engine/trans except the 4 mounting bolts and the stubborn axles. I have tapped, wacked, pushed and pulled to no avail. I have even disconnected the axle at the wheel hub and removed the brake disc and axle nut and tried to pull the hub off with no success. I’ve read that there are pins under the boot covers on the early models that need to be removed, but I’m reluctant to remove the boots until I’m sure. If there’s one thing I’ve learned it’s to not blindly attack mechanical issues unless you want to spend some extra cash. So can someone tell me if I’m missing something, or if the axles and the transmission just took their marriage vows a little too serious! It has been sitting for 30 years, so perhaps just some corrosion?
    1969 911S
    1969 Datsun 2000...worth less, but more valuable

They're little stubs of rolled steel, opposite each other in a pair per flange axle side, that protrude maybe 1/4".

Get a large screwdriver, and tapping it carefully with a light hammer, split the seam between the flange and cv joint body in a few places. You should see the assembly separate now. This should be easy since you've taken the entire (!) wheel side of the axle off.

Name:  999-095-019-00_copy.jpg
Views: 726
Size:  5.4 KB
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

subscribed

Subscribed as well...
    1966 911 Coupe - Slate Grey - 304598 - still in restoration!

Member #1616

More pictures!!! Great story mine is almost identical minus the big C part. Like Johnny Cash's cadillac, one piece at a time.

Well, now with the kids and grandkids gone, the holidays over and my back feeling better, it’s back to the Porsche. Armed with the knowledge that nothing is keeping the axles attached to the transaxle other than the locating pins I slid back under the car with a hammer and chisel. I tried to follow beh911’s advice, but it was woefully inaccurate. Tapping wasn’t going to break up this union! It took some pretty heavy hits to get a slight gap. Lots of careful prying with a large screwdriver finally broke them free. I guess that 30 years of no movement allowed the gaskets and pins to firmly attach themselves to the two parts. So thanks all for the info on the locating pins.
    Everything should now be disconnected (yeah, I bet you’ve heard that before) and I’m only waiting for some help to lower the engine. Once the engine is out I can start to assess it’s condition. I’m sure some seals will need replacing, but I am undecided on how far to go into it. Supposedly it was running fine other than the slipping clutch when it was parked, and with under 70,000 miles it’s borderline on needing a top end. Tempted to clean it, seal it, and drive it and see what all it may need and then go from there.
    It’s going to be a while before it drives no matter what route I take. All the brakes need to be sent off to PMB for rebuilding and some of the wiring needs to be replaced.
    Here’s a couple of pictures of the car after I washed all the dirt off. The water makes it look much better then it is.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    1969 911S

So the tank has been soaking about half full of vinegar for about two weeks and I’m starting to get cautiously optimistic that it can be saved. Here are two pictures looking inside the tank through the sending unit hole. Second one shows some pretty clean metal and then the brown stuff pretty solid which is above the vinegars level. The first picture shows where I put a worn out scotch brite pad on a paint paddle and rubbed a little.the dark below it is just slightly stained metal, it is not the same as the top part. It was more like just swishing around, as I put very light pressure on the pad. Now I’ll try to get the vinegar to some of the places it hasn’t reached by turning the tank on different sides. Next I’ll do the “swish the rocks” trick to see how much that loosens up. My back is definitely not looking forward to that
    I’ve got a friend who said he will help me drop the engine, but first he has to color sand the new paint on his Miata race car. Guess I’ll be sanding on a Mazda early this week!
    1969 911S

Miata color sanded and Porsche engine out. Can you believe it, as the engine dropped I found a couple of items I missed! Speedometer cable and one fuel line. Oh well, they were much easier to disconnect with the engine partially lowered. The only real excitement we had was after I disconnected the above mentioned items and we started to lower again my touchy jack decided it was tired of supporting all that weight and decided come all the way down in one fell swoop! Fortunately it wasn’t far and didn’t hurt anything. But now the muffler was resting on the jack handle and we were unable to jack it up to remove the jack. So, with a little straining we were able get some cribbing under it and remove the jack. I’ve got to say, this engine looks much bigger out of the car than in it.
    I removed the clutch (the reason it was parked in the first place) and much to my relief it didn’t look like any damage was done to the flywheel, however there is considerable surface rust on it so it will get machined anyway. Can someone tell me what size socket is needed for the flywheel bolts? It looks like a triple square socket, is that correct?
    Once I get the flywheel off I’ll get it on my stand and start to get the rat poop off of everything so I can see what I’ve got. The engine turns over easily, but I’ll shoot some oil in the cylinders and let it lube things up then do a compression and leak down test.
    1969 911S

When I was preparing to remove the engine I pulled the plug on the oil tank and got just a trickle of oil. When I removed the plug on the engine I got about 8 quarts out. This doesn’t seem right to me. Shouldn’t the oil remain in the tank? Is there a check valve to keep it in the tank? Since the car has been sitting for about 30 years is it possible the oil has just leaked past a valve. Another possible issue is that when I removed the muffler it dribbled oil out of one side.
    1969 911S

Sounds to me like it was simply a couple quarts low