Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Ready-Set-Go....

It’s my understanding that there should only be a couple of quarts in the engine sump and the rest in the oil tank, cooler, and lines. I think eight quarts in the sump would flood the crank and possibly damage it. As a matter of fact I think the oil coming out of the exhaust is because the sump was so full some leaked past the pistons and ran out of an open exhaust valve. Perhaps the car went into self preservation mode and filled itself with oil so it wouldn’t seize up
    1969 911S
    1969 Datsun 2000...worth less, but more valuable

It's normal for the oil tank to drain back into the sump past the oil pump gears. After a long period of not running there will be most of the oil in the engine sump.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Thank you Ed, that’s one less thing to worry about!
    1969 911S

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    Flywheel socket is 12 point. Get a good one as they can strip out easily. I install drain back valves to hold oil in the tank.

Thank you gled49. I did determine that the flywheel needed a triple square bit and purchased a set. The flywheel came off fairly easy. Hopefully when the car is finished I’ll drive it enough to avoid the drain back problem! The drain back valve does make sense though as spinning a crank in pool of oil is not good.
    1969 911S

Slow going on the tear down. Spent about an hour with the power washer getting all the rats nest debris off the engine so that nothing falls into it during disassembly. Definitely glad I didn’t try to get by with just replacing the clutch and putting the engine back in. There was so much debris crammed around the cylinders and oil cooler that it would of overheated quickly. I have ordered the special tools for the camshaft removal and have taken the engine down as far as I can with the cams still installed. I got one heat exchanger off without much difficulty (used heat), but on the other a big problem. It looks like two of the studs for the barrel nuts were not installed into the heads deep enough, as the stud comes within an eighth of an inch of the top of the nut. Needless to say, there is not enough depth for the Allen socket to get sufficient grip and it just slips. I’m hoping that after I remove the heads I can get some vise grips on them. Open to any ideas on solving this dilemma. Looking at the back side of the valves through the ports I see much more carbon build up then I would of suspected, leading me to feel that a minimum a valve job is in order. If so, than most likely I will just do a complete tear down. Can anyone recommend a qualified machine shop within a days drive of Tulsa Ok.? I know that I can ship it off to Ollie’s, but after spending 40 years in the transportation business I know how rough packages get handled, not to mention how many get lost! So if I can do a days drive I’ll just deliver it myself and make a couple of days of sight seeing. Of course I’ll have to turn around and do it again when the work is completed.
    1969 911S

This engine is a fighter! Took all day to get the heads off. On one bank the cylinders wanted to come loose before the heads did. Lot’s of taping and judicious use of PB Blaster finally did the trick.
    Still fighting one heat exchanger and ended up taking the heads off with it still attached. Tomorrow I’ll try to get if off. At least I can get to the two barrel nuts that are on to far a little easier. Will try heat and vice grips, but not very optimistic. May resort to welding the Allen socket to the barrel nut. After I cross that bridge it looks the next battle will be the rockers. I tried loosening them but even with more force than I was comfortable with on the 5mm Allen bolt they didn’t budge.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    1969 911S

Success, at least on the heat exchanger. Didn’t have much time today, but was able to get the barrel nuts off. On the first one, I drilled progressively larger holes in it until I reached the stud then I used my Dremmel with a carbide bit to reach the top and bottom. The second one went a little faster by just using the dremmel and removing about a 3/16 slice. I was then able to Use a punch to rotate them off. If you look closely at the one on the left (well, the bottom since the picture loaded sideways) you can see how shallow the Allen socket was reaching. unfortunately the rocker arm bolts still don’t want to break loose and I’m afraid of stripping the Allen heads. I’m reluctant to use heat on them, as my propane torch probably won’t get hot enough and my oxy acetylene rig could be too much heat. I’ve not delt with magnesium before, but I know that aluminum will not give you a clear indication of when it gets too hot, It just caves in all of a sudden.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    1969 911S

Yeah, I guess you heard my giant sigh of relief!
    1969 911S

Well, the heads, pistons, and cylinders are at Mayo Performance where Ed will do the valves and measure the P&Cs to see if a hone and new rings will suffice. He will also send my flywheel out to be resurfaced. After conferring with several knowledgeable sources I have decided that at only 68,000 miles it’s not necessary to go through the bottom end, although I will replace crank seals and timing chains. I must say that I have never met anyone as passionate about their work as Ed. He spent a good hour showing around his shop while explaining in great detail how he would attend to my parts. His willingness to openly offer advice on a variety of issues was greatly appreciated. I throughly enjoyed my visit! Well I was there I had Ed check my injection pump and unfortunately the rack is frozen, so it’s off to H&R Injection for a rebuild. The pump issue was unexpected, however the brakes were not. They are off to PMB for a rebuild.
    1969 911S