Thread: 1983 911sc broken control arm bearing

1983 911sc broken control arm bearing

I recently purchased a 1983 911sc targa. If I hit a bump (not necessarily a particularly big bump), there was an awful metal-on-metal screech from the front end. I live in the northeast, and figured going through the front end would be a good winter project to get the car ready for spring.

Upon removing the front control arms, I noticed this:
    59882154819--7A21F314-3E1B-4129-AF5E-4F61B0221B03.jpg
    59882153150--F36D55A6-D684-4FC0-B3F9-E27F5F5F0133.jpg

The left side control arm bearing has separated (right side is still intact). Some light googling, and I have been unable to find anyone else who has had this experience. Maybe I'm just lucky.

I had planned on replacing the control arm bushings and ball joints (bushings due to assumed age, and ball joints because one of them got toasted while heating up the wedge bolt). I'm unsure if the control arms I have are original or not. If they are - it'd be nice to save them; if not, I care less about that. My plan was to stick with original rubber-type bushings over spherical / etc. I'm not going to track the car, roads around here are less than perfect, and I'm just after a car that's enjoyable to drive.

Options I have come up with:
    1. Find a replacement bearing / replace bushings and ball joints as planned originally. So far, I haven't been able to find just that oem-style bearing (rubber bushings are available, but not the metal bearing).
    2. Replace the control arms. Genuine Porsche seem to be quite expensive ($1200 each or so). If I have to go this route, I'm hoping Rennline's or something similar are sufficient. I found https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_In...02&DID=163099# for instance, though the sway bar mount looks different at quick glance.

Appreciate any advice. This is my first Porsche - owning a targa has been a dream since I was a kid.
    Last edited by mdaniels; 12-26-2019 at 06:57 AM.

This is fairly common on track cars. You can weld the adjuster back on or buy a used one from a local Porsche shop. The new Dansk arms are only $200 or so but you will need to weld on a new sway bar bracket.