Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1969 20.5mm Master Cylinder Rebuild Kits?

1969 20.5mm Master Cylinder Rebuild Kits?

I got these a few years ago along with a bunch of other NOS parts from a local guy that ran a small shop. I put the box in my parts stash thinking it was a 19mm master cylinder rebuild kit but when I decided to take a stab at rebuilding mine this weekend I realized it's not.

First thing I realized is that there are actually 2 kits in the one box. The ATE number on the box doesn't come up in any search I did so I'm hoping someone has some vintage ATE documentation that might confirm what I think. After a bunch of searching I measured the pistons and they are 20.5mm. Since all the parts I bought are Porsche parts, I'm not assuming that these are rebuild kits for the rare early 1969 20.5mm master cylinder. Can anyone confirm this for me?

Either way I have no use for them. Since I'm not sure what I have and if they are the 69 rebuild kits they are NLA, I'm not really sure what to ask for them.... but I know I need to put a price.

So, let's start at $200 shipped for both kits
    Reduced to $125 shipped for both kits OR $70 shipped each
    Reduced to $100 shipped for both kits OR $60 shipped each
    SOLD

Any help with a positive or negative identification would be appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jbell959; 04-04-2020 at 03:32 PM.

Rare early 69 Aluminum 20.5 mm master cylinder? Really? tell me more. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you bought more than just Porsche parts from you local shop.

Regards

Jim

I could be interested in the kit since I have 2 20mm masters that I may want to rebuild. I already have one kit, and if I can dig it out then it may confirm your part #. I believe I got my kit from Stoddard's many years ago.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Breazeale View Post
    Rare early 69 Aluminum 20.5 mm master cylinder? Really? tell me more. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you bought more than just Porsche parts from you local shop.

Regards

Jim
    I'm open to bad news if that's what it is, which is why I posted it as a question. However there is this thread on Pelican with a post from Bill Verburg and several other references when searching for 20.5mm Porsche master cylinder of an early 69 20.5mm version. I didn't buy a mountain of parts and every other part is definitely for a Porsche so if it turned out this one is not... it's not the end of the world.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...ock-23-mm.html

Quote Originally Posted by davep View Post
    I could be interested in the kit since I have 2 20mm masters that I may want to rebuild. I already have one kit, and if I can dig it out then it may confirm your part #. I believe I got my kit from Stoddard's many years ago.
    Dave

What kind of car did your 20 mm masters come from?

Regards

Jim

Jim, the 1969 911S, and probably any 69 with the aluminum S caliper got the 20mm master from the factory. It may have been a one year feature. Naturally, many of the race cars used them at the time. But rare to come across now.
    The 20 is actually 20.64mm or 0.8125" or 13/16" since the bores are in inch sizes. Here is a photo of the 17, 19 and 20 side by side.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by davep; 11-10-2019 at 11:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by davep View Post
    Jim, the 1969 911S, and probably any 69 with the aluminum S caliper got the 20mm master from the factory. It may have been a one year feature. Naturally, many of the race cars used them at the time. But rare to come across now.
    The 20 is actually 20.64mm or 0.8125" or 13/16" since the bores are in inch sizes. Here is a photo of the 17, 19 and 20 side by side.
    Thanks Dave

I’ve had plenty of 69s with aluminum calipers. Never noticed that the had a different MC.

Regards

Jim

I don't know about your experience, but back in the 1980's I was replacing master cylinders at about 7 years of service. Probably very few 20's were replaced with 20's, so after first replacement you may never see one again. For some reason the factory decided that the 20 was too large I guess, and they reverted to the 19 until the power masters came.

Open to offers

Reduced to $125 shipped for both kits OR $70 shipped each