Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: 1968 911L Sportomatic

Quote Originally Posted by 1968sporto911s View Post
    This comes from the German brochure for the 1968 year.

Additionally for the models 911L/911S.
    The front of the dashboard in leatherette. - Aluminum trim under the rear side windows and trim on the doors inside. - Entrance trim. Velour carpet in base area. Color matches the leatherette. - Manual gas control. - 5-speed gearbox. - Stabilizer front and rear (**). - Halogen fog lights (**). - Oil level indicator (**). - Oil pressure indicator (**). - Webasto gas heater and blower (**). - 4-Spoke leather steering wheel (**). - Koni shocks (*) (**). - Forged light alloy rims 5.5x15. (**). - Reinforced profiled rubber strips to protect the bumpers and bumper horns - decorative panel under the doors. (**).
    (*) except the Targa model
    (**) Only 911S

My 911S Sportomatic 1968 11800755, sold new in Switzerland.

No pictures here, the system did not allow me to upload. Are coming soon.
    Great info - many thanks for that. So Euro L's may not have had the "S" deco either such as "the decorative panel under doors".

Quote Originally Posted by dweb View Post
    I have pulled out my seats and am cleaning them up and everything associated with it. The genesis for this is that the driver seat will ratchet backwards suddenly if I lean back too hard. I figured while I was cleaning up the mechanism I might as well freshen everything else up.

My first question is about the protective grey covers that are pictured below. When I look at replacements it specifies that for 68's the color was black. My car is an early January 68 build so I suspect they used the grey ones still available and that show to be for pre 68s. All that said I need to replace the covers as they are in terrible shape. What color do you think I should get? Black as specified for my year or grey that I believe came with the car (to the best of my knowledge the covers were original).

My second question is about curing the slipping seat. I've done some searching of the forum but haven't found what I was looking for about cleaning the seat ratcheting system. What have people tried that seemed to work? I have the protective covers off but haven't figured out yet how to further disassemble the bracket. Have you pulled it apart more to get at the other parts?

Thanks

Attachment 512305
    This is the passenger side for what's it worth. In need of a clean

Attachment 512306
    This shows the beat up grey protective cover.
    Hi David,
    I now have the same issue with my drivers seat.
    I'm new to this, but my best guess is it's because the recliner lever is not under enough pressure from the return spring, and is not returning far enough to the correct outward position, and therefor not engaging the ratchet lock fully.
    (You can see in the first picture you posted above, how the lock moves back and forth on the spline when pushed by the recliner lever to engage and lock on the gear. If that's not engaged properly / under enough pressure, it will slip and start to wear down the teeth.)
    See if there's any movement in the arm when it's sitting in the 'locked' position - that's a clue.
    If the teeth on the ratchet are really worn it could also slip, although that's not the issue I have as I inspected all the parts when I pulled mine apart to restore.
    (pulling apart is the easy part - putting back together requires a bit more time and effort - just photograph it as you pull it apart so you remember how it wall works)

Either way I'm taking mine apart again soon to fix it, so can let you know what i find.

And I would go with the grey covers for sure!

Ben.

Quote Originally Posted by ELSPORTO View Post
    Great info - many thanks for that. So Euro L's may not have had the "S" deco either such as "the decorative panel under doors".
    That's correct for the 1968 model. But realize in 1968 there was no Euro model and no ROW model. Every country had their own importer and they decided what the standard options were of each model. That was in 1968 and it is still today. On the picture of my car you see the bumper guards on the front bumper, it's not on my kardex so it's standard but not in Germany. On the 1968 German brochure I see several cars including a "S" without front bumper guards. In the USA a lot of people are thinking there are USA Porsches and ROW Porsches but that's not true. Thats only for the engine because for that the USA had legal regulations. But the importer for every country in the world decided how every model was equipped and if they would sell a model in that country. Importers of the brand or independent import companies, it makes no difference. And I say it again, that's still today.
    Last edited by 1968sporto911s; 01-19-2020 at 11:32 AM.
    1968 Porsche 911S Sportomatic
    1959 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Veloce
    1963 Triumph TR4

That's correct for the 1968 model. But realize in 1968 there was no Euro model and no ROW model. Every country had their own importer and they decided what the standard options were of each model. That was in 1968 and it is still today. On the picture of my car you see the bumper guards on the front bumper, it's not on my kardex so it's standard but not in Germany. On the 1968 German brochure I see several cars including a "S" without front bumper guards. In the USA a lot of people are thinking there are USA Porsches and ROW Porsches but that's not true. Thats only for the engine because for that the USA had legal regulations. But the importer for every country in the world decided how every model was equipped and if they would sell a model in that country. Importers of the brand or independent import companies, it makes no difference. And I say it again, that's still today.
    Okay that makes a lot of sense - there was only 1 importer in Australia in 1968 (and for a few years after that I believe) - which would explain the continuity in the "Aussie delivered" 911L options, and how they differed from the S models.

Ben

I saw your car at Grant's today - even better than the pics here !!

cheers
    Dennis
    1970 914-6 - materialised from the 'Lotto' garage into reality
    1971 2.2 911 S - now back in the UK - sob!
    1975 Carrera Targa (ROW) - missed.
    One of us is fast becoming a valuable antique.
    S Registry member 536
    Australian TYP 901 Register Member 44

Thanks Dennis ! Mathew and Grant are ironing out a couple of rookie mistakes I made rebuilding the carbs .... they were very nice and polite pointing out the embarrassingly obvious .....

Hi Elsporto,
    This weekend I admired your car again, the beautiful colors and the beautiful finish. However, I wondered one thing: is your steering wheel on the Kardex as a purchased option? Also the horn cap must have been a deliberate choice because I think the "butterfly" was standard in 1968.
    Frans
    1968 Porsche 911S Sportomatic
    1959 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Veloce
    1963 Triumph TR4

Hi Elsporto,
    This weekend I admired your car again, the beautiful colors and the beautiful finish. However, I wondered one thing: is your steering wheel on the Kardex as a purchased option? Also the horn cap must have been a deliberate choice because I think the "butterfly" was standard in 1968.
    Frans
    Thanks Frans, the butterfly was off getting repainted at the time of the pic - it's a standard 420mm leather wrapped wheel with butterfly. Cheers Ben.