Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hot 2 liter engines

Hot 2 liter engines

So anybody know the difference between a 2 liter 911S engine and the Carrera 6 race engine ? Chris
    1. Chris-Early S Registry#205
    2. '70 911S Tangerine
    3. '68 911L Euro Ossi Blue

My guess is similar to 911r engine with Dual ignition, titanium connecting rods and triple carburettors, had a power output of 210 hp at 8,000 rpm. Vs 180hp.

So basically the 2 liter S comes on at 4,000 while the 906 must come on at 6,000 rpm.

About $100,000

Quote Originally Posted by rower View Post
    My guess is similar to 911r engine with Dual ignition, titanium connecting rods and triple carburettors, had a power output of 210 hp at 8,000 rpm. Vs 180hp.

So basically the 2 liter S comes on at 4,000 while the 906 must come on at 6,000 rpm.
    From my lone experience in a 911R: "Yes". Not much of a street engine unless riding around in 2nd gear all the time is your thing.
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Decent chart, has a couple errors if I recall. I believe this is from Anderson's 911 Performance Handbook

Name:  Porsche - 901 engine type summary.jpg
Views: 889
Size:  145.2 KB
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

A 2 litre production S engine makes 160hp, if you’re interested in what a modern 2 litre 911 will put out, you should take a look at the European 2 litre cup series. It’s really pushed the engine development along. The rules have been through a couple of stages because many of the cars came from different series, so to get them all in the grid together, there had to be some flex. For the first year this allowed the use of large S valves, although now they have to be small valve and they’re never been allowed twin plug and have to use Solex carbs, but the outputs are impressive. There’s some in car footage on YouTube, they sound amazing.

Yes, you are correct. I spaced.

The carb versions 160hp. The 1969 mfi 2 liter 170hp. And there was a higher output 180hp in 1969 too but wasn’t the standard S motor.

Quote Originally Posted by Schläfer View Post
    A 2 litre production S engine makes 160hp, if you’re interested in what a modern 2 litre 911 will put out, you should take a look at the European 2 litre cup series. It’s really pushed the engine development along. The rules have been through a couple of stages because many of the cars came from different series, so to get them all in the grid together, there had to be some flex. For the first year this allowed the use of large S valves, although now they have to be small valve and they’re never been allowed twin plug and have to use Solex carbs, but the outputs are impressive. There’s some in car footage on YouTube, they sound amazing.
    Is that the Peter Auto series?
    Russ

ESR # 1537

'62 356S Notchback Hotrod
    '67 S Das Geburtstagsgeschenk
    '68 T Targa Sportomatic
    '68 L SW Targa Sportomatic
    '70 914/6 GT

Quote Originally Posted by Bullethead View Post
    Is that the Peter Auto series?
    Yes, it’s been brilliant to follow if you like early SWB cars. I made it to the Spa round this year too in my 66. Many of my friends are running cars. A few of the rounds have had a live stream, I’m hoping more rounds will be streamed this year.

So if the Carrera 6 is too peaky for the street, what little tweeks can the standard 2 liter 911S engine receive to boost power say 10 to 15 HP more ? Chris
    1. Chris-Early S Registry#205
    2. '70 911S Tangerine
    3. '68 911L Euro Ossi Blue