Thread: FS: 1966 Polo Red over Red with Pepita

FS: 1966 Polo Red over Red with Pepita

The time has come for me to find a new home for this car. She would like to tell you her story...

"First let me introduce myself, I am affectionately known as 303963. Those less in the know simply call me a '66 911. Some things that get my motor revving are long drives along the coast and spirited drives in the mountains.
    Here is a bit more about my background. I hope this isn't TMI. I was conceived in Germany, and being from a good German family, records were kept of EVERYTHING about my birth. Because of this, I know I was born on 25 March 1966. I have many birth siblings, however my birth parents never had intentions of keeping any of us. Most quickly found their new homes, but I didn't actually join my forever family until a full 9 months later on 30 December 1966 when my new family picked me up at Europa Motor Car in Culver City, California.
    I was truly a Christmas baby, as I was my family's Christmas gift to each other. This was very special since they were not a family of means and my purchase meant they spent their year's gift budget (and more) on me. My new dad and mom were Erol and Betty Lawrence. Larry and Leta were my new brother and sister.
    I tipped the scales at a svelte, 2,381 pounds and I was red everywhere; outside and in (except for a pepita strip where one sat). At the time I thought I was just like the others, but after all these years I now know how special I am. I have looked around, but not seen another who was born like me.
    My early years were great. I spent quite a bit of time with my family cruising up and down the California coast. We also spent much time as a family at the race track. My dad was a machinist at Rocketdyne and worked on the Mercury, Apollo and space shuttle programs. He loved mechanical things and things that went fast. He loved to get his hands dirty and took pride in being the one that kept me in proper working order.
    When I was still fairly young, well before my teenage years, it was my dad who suggested changing me from my original Polo Red to a sportier silver. I was game. The silver cars I would see at the track looked oh-so-fast! However, life wasn't all peachy growing up. I vaguely remember one time when the whole family was in the car and we were cruising the coast. We were approaching a slower car which my dad easily passed, but in doing so, he put my left front wheel off the edge of the pavement which led me to go out of control. I must have blacked out but my sister remembers us spinning and heading for a cliff. Thankfully, there was a sign at the edge of the road which we hit, keeping us from going over. While we were all safe, my passenger's door did take a quite a beating, but a small price to pay considering we were all safe. I am sure I was scared to death and left a bit of oil on the road. My dad replaced the damaged door but kept my original one all these years as a remembrance of this instance and as a reminder of his being human and not above making mistakes. This accident didn't keep me off the road long and I was driven and enjoyed often. I remember the day I got to upgrade to some new fancy wheels. It was sometime after 1968. My original skinny chromies gave way to wider, 5-1/2" x 15" Fuchs. These guys really helped to balanced me out. They were lighter and much stickier. From constant use over the years my seating area started to wear out. My pepita inserts were replaced with black velvet (which felt pretty good, I must say). The black looked good with the rest of the red interior, but it wasn't quite as distinct as the hounds tooth pattern I was so use to seeing. Then there was that time my rear end had a run-in with a pole. This was a difficult one since I did need surgery. Part of the surgery resulted in my original rear latch panel being replaced with a more readily available newer one. Again as a reminder, my original engine lid was saved and a newer one was put in its' place.
    In 1985, we moved to just outside Eugene, Oregon. The scenery here is amazing and so are the back roads! I spent quite a bit of time growing older while taking my family around to see the new scenery. That all changed one day though. I'm not sure exactly why, but my father parked me in my newly created room under our house. I thought that I might simply be getting a well needed rest. Hours turned into days. Days turned into months. Ultimately, months turned into years. Unfortunately, on 1 September 1996 my father died at the young age of 66. I was sad for many reasons. I missed my dad greatly but also because I knew what this would mean for me. My mom took my father's death very hard and it changed her greatly. She was strong but my brother did move in to take care of her. Over the years, my family would all share dreams about one day getting me back on the road. Unfortunately, they had no idea how to get my heart going again. So I continued to idly sit. Time was beginning to take its' toll on my health, but I wasn't the only one. On 8 April 2018 the unexpected again happened when my brother suddenly died. He was only 56. My mom and sister were devastated! By now my mom was 88 years old. She had always been beautiful and strong and this was a tragedy from which she would not recover. A short 36 days after my brother death, my mom took the same journey and joined my dad and brother.
    Some people may not believe that cars have souls, but I can assure you we do. My sister recently told me that she and my brother had plans once my mom died to take her and our father's ashes and put them in the car and push me off a cliff. I was sad to hear this, but relieved that this plan was never put into action. I am certain this was a joke, but in a strange way, this told me how meaningful of a part I played in our family and how much I meant to my parents.
    Then life presented a strange, if not fortunate, twist of fate. After sitting for 28 years in my underground room, I got to see the Oregon sky again. Granted it wan't under my own power but it did feel good to move again. I was taken away and given a much needed bath.
    I eventually ended up in the hands of a guy who could see beyond my years of neglect and who made me start to feel like I was important. He carefully examined me to find that I am still packing my original heart and all other original parts with which I was born. I am a perfect match! He very much appreciated that I did not show signs of going crazy in the '80's. No hip, lip or other implants. I even kept my original long nose! He even located my original damaged door and rear lid. He has helped me to believe in myself again, though both he and I realize my needs are as great as my potential. We both dream and picture a time when I am back re-living my youth. I will again be wearing my birth color, Polo Red, which will nicely compliment the red interior with pepita inserts. To add some sizzle, I can going back to those sexy, narrow and flashy chrome 4-1/2" wheels.
    I recognize in my current condition I am a high maintenance girl and it will take a special someone with the means to help me realize my dreams. A special someone who TRULY knows Porsches. Someone who is attracted by the unusual life I have lived. Someone who can love me for the beauty I have and sees the rare beauty I can again become. You won't find another like me on the showroom floor!"

I think this is a rare opportunity and I know the market is not ripe for selling projects. This car really deserves a better life.
    For more pictures, please check out:

http://s1165.photobucket.com/user/JT...20911%20303963

I will be adding some underneath pictures and some of the front. In general there appears to have survived typical rust-prone areas. If you contact me I can more easily chat about the few areas I do see that will need attention. This is not a "put fresh gas in it and go" car. It will require a full engine rebuild along with all the other systems. It has been fun to explore this car and find some thing the original owner did to try and preserve it.

Asking price: $55,000
    Attached Images Attached Images
    John Thompson

1966 912. My first car. Bought it Nov. 25, 1988. Still have it.

Wishing you well with the sale but also, probably hard to leave her go.
    Registry member No.773

Doug Dill

1973 911E Coupe
    PCA #1987109761
    Early 911S Registry #548

Free bump. I've seen this car in person. Highly original other than current color. Even the serial number on the Frankfurt matches the kardex. Yes, it has needs, but has even more potential.
    - Arne
    Current - 2018 718 Cayman, Rhodium Silver, PDK

Sold - 1972 911T coupe, Silver Metallic; 1984 911 Carrera coupe, Chiffon white; 1973 914 2.0, Saturn Yellow; 1984 944, Silver Metallic

My game..saving Porsches FHernand's Avatar
    I’m interested in seeing this car. Will call you soon.
    VINTAGE SPORTSCAR RESTORATIONS INC.
    www.vsrestorations.com
    Phoenix OREGON
    Freddie Hernandez
    freddie@vsrestorations.com
    (541) 535-3304
    www.facebook.com/VintageSportscarRestorations

As you can see, selling this is not a driving ambition of mine. One day when my schedule allows, I will trailer it to Freddie. It would be ideal for the car to end up at his shop so the original owner's family can more easily follow its' transformation.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    John Thompson

1966 912. My first car. Bought it Nov. 25, 1988. Still have it.