Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 911 2.4E MFI pump on a Carrera RS clone engine w/o changing 3D cam?

Yes, I realize the parts should be consistent with oneparticular engine size all the way.

Jeff, I reckoned that if a local mechanic is able to modify plastic bodies, so should a dedicated shop be.

It would be nice to modify the parts that I already own rather than sourcing new, expensive bits. Could sell the E parts, but judging from ebay ads demand is rather low, and so the prices.
    Last edited by Einar Irgens; 01-19-2020 at 01:17 PM.

I tested an RS MFI pump on an E , lean at lower rpm's and way too rich at higher rpm's , so from my experience an RS space cam is required for an RS. Luckily they are still available .

Yesterday I spoke with a guy who has built a few very powerful 911 engines, some of them with MFI. He knows the MFI pumps pretty well, and has offered to check mine. Says that it's correct that with an E pump the mixture at 6-7000 rpm will be too lean. However, he can grind some material off a section of the cam, and it will deliver sufficiently at the top. I will certainly give it a chance.

'72 911T 3,0 liter MFI Albert Blue street/DE toy Jeff Higgins's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Einar Irgens View Post
    Yesterday I spoke with a guy who has built a few very powerful 911 engines, some of them with MFI. He knows the MFI pumps pretty well, and has offered to check mine. Says that it's correct that with an E pump the mixture at 6-7000 rpm will be too lean. However, he can grind some material off a section of the cam, and it will deliver sufficiently at the top. I will certainly give it a chance.
    That is exactly what I wound up doing to adapt my 2.4 T pump to my 3.0 liter motor. This turned out to be a very painstaking, time consuming process for me. I put a lot of miles on the road driving my test loop and collecting data, then a good deal of time analyzing that data and correlating it to the changes required on the space cam. I ruined one space cam along the way, getting overzealous in removing material. I proceed much more slowly with the second space cam.

So, yes, this can be done. It's a "simple" matter of re-contouring the space cam. How much to take off, and where to take it off is the crux of the problem. I would be astonished to see someone simply take a space cam, grind it a bit, hand it back and say "there, that ought to work". There is a lot more to it than that.
    "God invented whisky so the Irish wouldn't rule the world."

Recently had a 2.7 high compression (10.5:1) twin plug with high butterfly injection with relatively soft GE 40 cams built. The engine uses a T MFI pump. I purchased a 2.7 RS space cam directly from a Bosch dealer in the UK at a very reasonable price.The MFI pump was refurbished and then put on a Bosch MFI machine to ensure it was set up correctly as were injectors to verify correct spray pattern. On a dyno (not rolling road) the engine produces 271 BHP at 7250 RPM but will pull to 8,000 RPM. Flat torque curve from 3,000RPM at 200 Ft /Lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Higgins View Post

So, yes, this can be done. It's a "simple" matter of re-contouring the space cam. How much to take off, and where to take it off is the crux of the problem. I would be astonished to see someone simply take a space cam, grind it a bit, hand it back and say "there, that ought to work". There is a lot more to it than that.
    Well, this someone is not just anyone. He has a strong reputation for his engine knowledge, and a few years back he allegebly built an air cooled 911 engine with about 1000 HP. Also, the difference between an RS and an E is probably not that great. He talked about removing around 0.1 mm of material at one end of the cam. Anyway, I have little to loose.

Quote Originally Posted by Saskia View Post
    Recently had a 2.7 high compression (10.5:1) twin plug with high butterfly injection with relatively soft GE 40 cams built. The engine uses a T MFI pump. I purchased a 2.7 RS space cam directly from a Bosch dealer in the UK at a very reasonable price.The MFI pump was refurbished and then put on a Bosch MFI machine to ensure it was set up correctly as were injectors to verify correct spray pattern. On a dyno (not rolling road) the engine produces 271 BHP at 7250 RPM but will pull to 8,000 RPM. Flat torque curve from 3,000RPM at 200 Ft /Lbs.
    "Very reasonable price" sounds good to me :-) Could you give me the name of the shop?

Einar

Einar,
    I have tried to message you but the private mail will not send. I have the information you need. Please try and PM me your email address.

'72 911T 3,0 liter MFI Albert Blue street/DE toy Jeff Higgins's Avatar
    Sorry it took so long to respond, but here is someone who will bore plastic MFI stacks:

Burnham Performance
    1071 Avenida Acaso suite D Camarillo, Ca.805-240-6931
    https://www.instagram.com/burnhamperformance/
    "God invented whisky so the Irish wouldn't rule the world."

Thanks a lot, Jeff. No rush, I have postponed the engine project for financial reasons

Saskia, there seems to be something wrong. I have also had problems sending pm's. Email can be sent to my gmail adress, which is straightforward with a dot between my first and last name.

Edit: I see now that I have received a number of messenges from you. I tried replying to the first one, but nothing in my Sent Messages folder. Thanks a lot for the information.

Einar

Still not sure whether you get my messenges or not, Saskia. Please send me an email. einar dot irgens whirl gmail dot com