Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nadella axle dis-assembly and rebuild

Nadella axle dis-assembly and rebuild

I am almost done with rebuilding my transmission and am now focusing my attention on the Nadella axles. Does anybody out there have experience in rebuilding these? I think Chris Seven posted about these in the past before he left the forum. My questions center around the following:

Dis-assembly: Can the axles just be pressed apart using a shop press and appropriate support?
    Universal joints: Has anybody found a source for universal joints and dust seals?

Many thanks for any help. I will be sure to post back here as I get further into this project

I forget the particulars but my brother in-law, 40 years ago, did it with a Ford universal joint.

The Ford U-joint works only on the outer part. I ran these for years, but the INNER point is more of a problem.

One solution has been to use a spline shaft for in/out and U-joints on each end. The problem with Nadellas was that they had no revision for lubrication -- they assumed permanent original lubrication -- a decided error in thinking.

Tuned in hoping for more information. In Up-Fixing volume ?? (don't have it handy doing some remodeling but can get it) has a list of Spicer part numbers that are or were still valid about a year ago. The spicer parts require resizing the bores for bearing cups, this may weaken an already small cross section of material, may be fine and the 912 does not have the HP some of you have. I do have a spare set that I may try this on, or would send a set to someone currently doing rebuilds on them
    On my late 65 build 912 I have zirk fittings but only on the outer joint. Also caution on one of the early Up-Fixing methods was to use delrin or harder urethane for the bearing cups and no needle bearings, seemed very short term.
    John S. on the forum has been working through this but sounds very difficult. I am hung up mentally on keeping Nadella's on the car, I have a set of Lobro's with flanges & stub axles but would really like to rework or have a set reworked. I have a vibration at about 70mph+ and is now limiting my driving that car.

Regards
    Last edited by Jerry L; 01-02-2020 at 04:42 AM.

It looks like someone bite the bullet and had the proper parts remade.

Google CN1813-LB16-EA24 Nadella.

It should be the correct drawn cup needle bearing with the correct spring washer (EA24 seems to correspond to the spring washer, so be carefull about what you would order!)

Olivier.

Wow. that would be great if true. Please post experiences for any who may have already bought/used.

Quote Originally Posted by Olivier View Post
    It looks like someone bite the bullet and had the proper parts remade.

Google CN1813-LB16-EA24 Nadella.

It should be the correct drawn cup needle bearing with the correct spring washer (EA24 seems to correspond to the spring washer, so be carefull about what you would order!)

Olivier.

I would also be highly interested hearing from anyone using these bearings!

I still have a half-shaft with the spline and U-joints on each end, plus a couple of failures at the transmission end. How much are they worth?

Quote Originally Posted by 356rider View Post
    I would also be highly interested hearing from anyone using these bearings!
    Working on this. I have two axles apart which was a nightmare of a job. Will try and post some pictures this weekend

I'm amazed that there are no YouTube videos on this topic (yes, I just searched!)...
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100