Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Porsche Dual Battery Doesn't Fit

Porsche Dual Battery Doesn't Fit

So after reading several post about the dual battery market, I decided to go the Porsche battery because I was concerned about fit and what was currently available. I received them and they don't fit! The are too wide at the base. The base has flares at the bottom and I cannot get them installed. I know my battery box has been patched, not well I might add, but has anyone had a problem with these or is it just me? I believe if I cut off the flares, I can get the battery to fit but I'm hesitant.

Chris
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I have had the same problem. A extra layer of paint or undercoat inside the box will stop you. The fact your box has been welded on doesn’t help. They could have made the battery 1/16” smaller and it would be a big help. Never had a issue with the old interstate battery that is NLA.

My experience with those batteries is an extremely snug fit in unmolested battery boxes.
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

Lips at the bottom are usually solid plastic. Maybe a little shave job?
    69 911S #1379
    65 356 SC #130757

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    Same problem here, barely got mine in, I did chamfer the bottoms of the batteries to relieve tight fit. G

The one time I used the MOLL's I had the same problem…
    I used a sharp chisel and took off about an 1/8' on each side...
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

So I've been trying to determine if I can make these batteries fit so I built a cardboard box the shape of the batteries minus the plastic flares at the base and I can get them to fit but I can't get the vent pipe to fit. It appears that there is a vent hole on each side. One if plugged and the other has the vent elbow fitting. Has anyone swapped the vent from one side to the other? If so, how did you remove the plug without damaging it? Also, it appears the vent hole is toward the front of the car but I only have room one the side of the box that is toward the rear.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

I had the same problem with installing the dual batteries in my 73. I had replaced the battery boxes, and used a hammer to tweak the outer lip to allow the battery to slide in. The L shaped breather tube fit on one battery, but not the other. So I took the little plastic L shaped piece out and stuffed the vent tube in the hole, it fits well, and vents. Better than leaving it off totally.
    Chuck

Early 911S registry #380
    '70S
    '75S
    '96 C4S
    '65 R69S

I wish the Antigravity battery company would make the proper size for the early 911's. They are fantastic batteries and so light. I have one in my 87. I told them at Rennsport Reunion they're missing the boat on the early 911's.
    72S, 72T now ST

If I'm not mistaken, the early batteries built for these cars did not have the "ledges" around the bottom sides. Now, batteries with the same group size as the "old" ones often don't fit into the original factory receiving boundaries because of the ledges..