Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why did the factory choose blood orange (tangerine) as their werks race color?

Why did the factory choose blood orange (tangerine) as their werks race color?

I’m just curious as to why fir the early 911’s they standardized on blutorange for their factory race cars? (Though the 914 GTs were a different shade of orange.

The 1966/67 911’s were probably different colors but by 68 they seemed all orange

Fashion? Marketing? Differentiation? Visibility?

And who made that decision.

Just curious.

Visibility.

For the 66/67 Rally cars (as those used at the winter Monte Carlo Rally), red was chosen.
    Mainly for visibility in fog, so the car was seen by others, both spectators but also, competitors.
    Then, they realised orange is even better visible than red in fog and night time conditions, so the switch to orange for Rally cars was made. The 914GT orange probably was even better visible than tangerine.

There exists a period Christophorus article telling the story.
    Registry member No.773

I would be interested in the CHRISTOPHORUS article if anyone has a copy.

I too would be interested!
    Quote Originally Posted by ejboyd5 View Post
    I would be interested in the CHRISTOPHORUS article if anyone has a copy.
    1966 911 Coupe - Slate Grey - 304598 - still in restoration!

Member #1616

I think the factory switched from Polo Red to Tangerine for the 68 Marathon de la Route cars (the GTS cars in this thread) and the 69 Acropolis which was spring '69
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

Quote Originally Posted by beh911 View Post
    I think the factory switched from Polo Red to Tangerine for the 68 Marathon de la Route cars (the GTS cars in this thread) and the 69 Acropolis which was spring '69
    That was the Elford 911r with sportamatic? The year before?

Im still searching for the exact phrase (i always was interested in colors) but currently cant find the article - i once posted it years ago on this forum.
    Here meanwhile one from 1970 issue, where bright colors were seen as „safe colors“ (which was a passive safety aspect for cars).

Name:  D86DE919-6172-4046-9100-73B1D4B9AA8A.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  100.3 KB

Name:  8B6A3E94-BEFF-4BBF-AF76-023F6131B321.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  122.1 KB

Name:  B3C7D048-3A4B-48C8-859D-568EA42D064A.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  143.5 KB
    Registry member No.773

Quote Originally Posted by rower View Post
    The August '68 edition of the MdlR was run with the 69 GTS cars, which we know are orange. The timing is also around the model year switch over too.
    The Acropolis cars the following spring were orange.

I'm now recalling an older thread that I am reliving in this exchange, and proves that it is difficult to remember these topics over the years and also to tell actual color with the old camera technology. Orange looked red, red looked orange in period photographs. Kardexes are probably the only source of truth.

At any rate, read from here to the end of the thread for some more insights into car colors in this transitional color period for the factory
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

Good link above, thx!

I recall there was a period report that orange was the brightest color to be seen in bad weather and foggy conditions (as in winter Rallys like Monte), reason why Porsche switched from Polo Red to (Tangerine) Orange for their Rally cars.

I just cant find the article (Ludvigsen ?, Frere ? Brian Long ? Christophorus ? Huschke von Hanstein ?) but remember vividly the schema and explanation.

This race related topic were later handed down to regular market cars, explaining that Tangerine Orange, Signal Orange and all Yellow were „safety colors“ aka a „passive car safety“ equipment for any street car.

Name:  587B46F8-23D9-429F-894B-B1B271D6F77D.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  39.9 KB
    Last edited by 911T1971; 01-19-2020 at 07:34 AM.
    Registry member No.773

Quote Originally Posted by rower View Post
    “ I think the factory switched from Polo Red to Tangerine for the 68 Marathon de la Route cars (the GTS cars in this thread) and the 69 Acropolis which was spring '69”

Yes, but Elford won the 1967 Marathon in the 911r with sportamatic that was blood orange.