Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: front license plate mounting, best method

front license plate mounting, best method

hello,
    I was getting ready to mount my front plate. to meet the LAW.
    (blue, california 1971 plate)
    Does anyone have a great method?

I was thinking of doing what is seen in photo...and adding the blind threaded "rivnut", and using the orig bracket. (but black, not gold)
    the mounting would make the plate at an angle...and keeps it higher the the bottom edge of the bumper. (both which i like)

But maybe someone's got a better solution before I drill some holes.

If you have an idea. please add photos.

Name:  front bump.jpg
Views: 494
Size:  64.7 KB

Current long term ownership: 63 Cab, 71 911, 74 914

Have you considered the original factory bracket?
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Quote Originally Posted by edmayo View Post
    Have you considered the original factory bracket?
    +1 Wouldn't the factory bracket place it just about exactly where you're describing?

I thought the one in the photo was the original.
    Is there another?

Current long term ownership: 63 Cab, 71 911, 74 914

Quote Originally Posted by Scott A View Post
    I thought the one in the photo was the original.
    Is there another?
    I might be thinking of the later bracket. But the holes wouldn't match the bumper.

https://sierramadrecollection.com/Fr...30-p17953.html

These?....
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

That's the one. Remember, for the most part most license brackets, like the black one you show, were dealer supplied. The one above is a genuine factory front bracket. The rear brackets were totally up to the dealers and were locally sourced. I know, I was putting them on in the seventies.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

alternatively ... what you do is get 3m Paint Protection Film installed in the area where you will get mount or tape the license. Use VHB tape (super strong for outdoor use) to attach plate to 3M film. When you want to remove just pull off the film and you will be done. Q.E.D.
    Karl: E911SR #792 ; RG #420 ; GS #7

'72T Coupe - Sepia Brown

another option is to use neodymium magnets. one set of magnets gets epoxied behind the bumper, then you sandwich (and epoxy in place) matching magnets on the bracket to hold it in place. the license plate then just gets mounted to the bracket as usual.

it's worth putting a piece of adhesive-backed rubber or paint protection film on the 'back' side of that bracket to protect your paint as well. this type of setup is strong enough to keep the plate mounted on the car while driving but very easy to remove anytime. I've had a setup like this on one of my other cars for years.
    Member #3857
    '70 911 2.7

Quote Originally Posted by Lz7w View Post
    another option is to use neodymium magnets. one set of magnets gets epoxied behind the bumper, then you sandwich (and epoxy in place) matching magnets on the bracket to hold it in place. the license plate then just gets mounted to the bracket as usual.

it's worth putting a piece of adhesive-backed rubber or paint protection film on the 'back' side of that bracket to protect your paint as well. this type of setup is strong enough to keep the plate mounted on the car while driving but very easy to remove anytime. I've had a setup like this on one of my other cars for years.
    Do you need the brackets or could you place the magnet straight on the license plate? (angle of plate would be different of course)
    SEARCHING FOR ENGINE 6208326 (last seen in car with VIN 9111101452)

-70 911E
    -84 3,2 Sold