Thread: Needle in a haystack - '69 911T coupe in Tangerine

Question Needle in a haystack - '69 911T coupe in Tangerine

This request came in to the PCA Early 911 Advocate, I thought I'd cross-post it here in case it rings any bells with anyone.

About once a year, I receive a call asking for help finding a lost soul. Tonight was my 2020 call. A very nice gentleman named Brad called me to let me know that his father had previously owned a 1969 911T, Tangerine coupe with a ducktail, black interior & standard issue Fuchs. His father purchased the car in 1979 from a soldier who'd brought it back to the US from Europe. His father regretfully sold the car in 1983 in the Louisville, Kentucky area, just prior to moving the family to Florida (the car had no A/C, and Florida promised punishing summer temps). Brad's father, William R Parker was never as happy with subsequent cars and always regretted selling the 911T. Unfortunately, Mr. Parker is now up in years, and he's always wanted to find out what happened to his old heart throb. With so many years gone by, and service records from the 70's and early 80's not being computerized, Brad has had zero luck. This is not surprising, since Mr. Parker cannot find a bill of sale or any other records indicating the VIN of the car, and the DMV in Louisville no longer has access to any records of registration from the respective time period.

No need to respond if this doesn't sound like a car you've seen or owned, but if so, I'm sure Brad would be thrilled if we can help his father find out what happened to his old car. As the thread indicates, this is like trying to find a needle in a hay stack...
    - Arne
    Current - 2018 718 Cayman, Rhodium Silver, PDK

Sold - 1972 911T coupe, Silver Metallic; 1984 911 Carrera coupe, Chiffon white; 1973 914 2.0, Saturn Yellow; 1984 944, Silver Metallic

Kevin contacted me on that subject as one of my car is one of the 8 1969 911T tangerine coupe listed in the Registry.

Reading the story of the researched car, it seems unlikely that is mine as from the Kardex the "Handler" was Porsche of America Corp with "Handler Nr." 0917.
    However, if Europe delivery cars for US soldiers were handled through POAC, it may eventually be that one.
    Only information I have from the title is that it was in Twinsburg OH until 1992 owned by someone called Nathan T Jenkins. That's a stretch from Lousville KY but you never know...
    ESR Member: #3430
    John-Buffum-1st-Porsche ?

Quote Originally Posted by Pesch View Post
    . . . from the Kardex the "Handler" was Porsche of America Corp with "Handler Nr." 0917 . . .
    I don't believe that '0917' is a 'Händler'

917 is a prefix for Porsche's Dealer IDs in the Northeast US --- eg 917/802/1 = Holbert's Garages, Inc, Warrington, PA . . . so the reference may be for the Distributor?

…...

We Can Be Heroes

917 would be the Händler as noted on the Kardex. The 917/802/1 could be broken down as the Händler/Dealer/dealer type
    Händler can be thought of as the Distributor except in Germany where the factory was the distributor. In Germany the individual dealers have Händler numbers.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers