Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dash pad discussion thread

Quote Originally Posted by dummkopf View Post
    Darn it!!! I was going to buy one, the knee guards, and door caps but didn't want them sitting around in the way until I was ready.
    These are still around if you look. You'll pay a markup but I've been able to buy a couple recently.

Quote Originally Posted by LiveFromNY View Post
    In my opinion, you're MUCH better offer sending a cracked dash to Tony at Autobahn (or one of the other dash restorers) and let him recover it. Even with the seam, it's a much better looking dash than that Porsche Classic disaster.
    What about sending the cracked dash to Just Dashes for recovering? I had a set of armrests redone by them and am pleased with the results. My understanding is that they can vacu-form new vinyl on a dash with no seam but I cannot speak to the correctness of the vinyl itself. They quoted me ~$1k to recover my dash but I had already purchased one of the "good" CarPoint dashes.
    1970 Porsche 911T Coupe
    1970 Porsche 914 6-cyl Conversion
    2014 BMW 328i Sports Wagon
    1988 BMW M3
    1991 BMW M-Technic Convertible

Quote Originally Posted by M3pilot View Post
    What about sending the cracked dash to Just Dashes for recovering? I had a set of armrests redone by them and am pleased with the results. My understanding is that they can vacu-form new vinyl on a dash with no seam but I cannot speak to the correctness of the vinyl itself. They quoted me ~$1k to recover my dash but I had already purchased one of the "good" CarPoint dashes.
    For sure another option. Years ago, JD wasn't shy about warning people about their ability to do these dashes correctly but they've supposedly made some headway over the years. I'd certainly talk to them if I was in need.

Would LOVE to see some photos of your armrests, btw.
    Last edited by LiveFromNY; 02-01-2020 at 09:54 AM.

Perhaps the title of this thread could be softened to reflect the direction this discussion has taken toward repairing dash pads? (8:46 AM)

Thanks to whoever made the title change. (12:25 PM)
    Last edited by ejboyd5; 02-01-2020 at 08:26 AM.

There are perpetual rumors about "accurate 70-75 dash pads coming soon." Well, maybe not perpetual, but going on 9 months, for the latest one. Every example I've seen coming out of Yurrup in that timeframe has been a mismatch in surface texture. Many of the repros feature speaker grilles with holes drilled by intoxicated shop class dropouts (see below). Most people I know are settling for original dashes with the speaker/defroster crack, or even a small 'clock crack' for the time being. Consequently, I've seen stupid-high asking prices for perfect original dash pads. Fingers crossed that a good repro finally appears.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    techweenie.com

My parts fetcher: 2016 Tesla S | Currently building: 73 RSR tribute and 69 RS tribute

We have been working with the manufacturer in Europe to get these reproduction dashes right. The grain was incorrect on the last few that came through. We have a standing order with them to send us the right grained, right fit, right grill insert units. We hope to see them in time for the Toy/Lit show, but hard to say for sure.

Once they arrive, we will evaluate the looks, fit, and dimensions and report to Early S with our findings. This has been a difficult part to reproduce accurately, as many of you already know. Porsche AG's offering was problematic in fit, appearance and dimensions

BTW- The manufacturer is working to correct the graining on the arm pads and knee pad /ashtray kits too

If you would like to be put on our mailing list to let you know our findings, please contact us at tremotorsports@gmail.com

thank you
    Dave and Jonathan
    Member #755
    Conda Green 70 911S
    70 black 914-6 3.2
    70 911 "Speedster" project
    "74 IROC" tribute Jade Green RSR

Here are a couple of pics of my recently completed arms from Just Dashes. My originals were pretty beat to begin with - the usual splits/bulges around around the handles. Took awhile and not cheap but certainly cheaper than repops that seem to be not too highly regarded.

Name:  26B03B1A-D7B1-4559-ABDD-93665CB6E615.jpeg
Views: 265
Size:  115.6 KB
    Name:  BAA99C8B-E6CB-4AF2-B8C8-C8D6159A2A7D.jpeg
Views: 240
Size:  93.2 KB
    Name:  CF8A285B-0201-4021-99BB-3C68B1785568.jpeg
Views: 235
Size:  114.8 KB
    1970 Porsche 911T Coupe
    1970 Porsche 914 6-cyl Conversion
    2014 BMW 328i Sports Wagon