Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: help? ....anyone ever had a problem with too much toe in on the rear? '68 911t

help? ....anyone ever had a problem with too much toe in on the rear? '68 911t

I've got a tired old '68 911t that is going to be put together as a fun, no worries, drive it hard, twisty road hot rod.
    The car recently went to the frame bench and had a new torsion tube put in and a bit of other work. (long story but the tube had a kink)

While assembling the car I found that I had too much toe in on the rear. The car has new ER polybronze bushings and monoballs and a set of custom SWB Spring plates using the plates like Clint sells at Rebel racing used with SC adjustable spring plate hardware

I took it out to the shop and put it on the alignment machine and at zero degrees camber we ended up with one degree toe in on both sides.

Tried and tried to get rid of the toe in but that was the best we could do.

Fist step is to double check that the spring plates are the correct size although I'm almost certain they are.

The next step will be to pull the arms off and disassemble and run them over to Mayo Performance and have them checked on their trailing arm tool.

After that I'm not sure what is next... maybe back on the bench, maybe elongating the holes on the ears for the trailing arms to get some additional adjustment???

Anyone have any advice, experience or thoughts to share?

Thanks in Advance,

Jay
    -Jay
    Seabrook, TX
    '68 911T project -The Rat
    '74 911 3.0 EFI Twin Plug toy
    '80 Weissach 3.2 S.S. Grocery Getter
    '70 914/6 GT vintage race car

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    What does that translate to inches. We often would get 1/4” total toe in. Sometimes it is a fight with camber, toe and thrust angle which is the most important.

What Glen says, and if the good Dr. Mayo is involved he'll steer you in the right direction, pun intended.

One degree of toe in will reduce oversteer a bit, not a bad thing on your SWB car intended to be a hotrod. We did as much on the suspension setup on my old '68 racer... set front toe, camber and caster accordingly.

How much is the car lowered and what is rear camber?
    Last edited by Bullethead; 01-26-2020 at 05:29 PM. Reason: DOH! Camber!
    Russ

ESR # 1537

'62 356S Notchback Hotrod
    '67 S Das Geburtstagsgeschenk
    '68 T Targa Sportomatic
    '68 L SW Targa Sportomatic
    '70 914/6 GT

Quote Originally Posted by Bullethead View Post
    What Glen says, and if the good Dr. Mayo is involved he'll steer you in the right direction, pun intended.

One degree of toe in will reduce oversteer a bit, not a bad thing on your SWB car intended to be a hotrod. We did as much on the suspension setup on my old '68 racer... set front toe, caster and caster accordingly.

How much is the car lowered and what is rear camber?
    tough to answer these questions. First off I have no idea what it translates to in minutes. I can only say that while trial assembling the car it was clear to the naked eye that there was too much toe in...or at least to my eyes it looked that way.

I took it to the shop and we then put it on the alignment rack. Anytime we added any negative camber we got more toe in. ...so at zero dergrees camber is where we ended up with the least amount of toe in...at 1 degree.

The car does not have its drive train it or much of anything really so we put some weight in the backseat of the car and then ratchet strapped the rear down to simulate weight of the engine.

The shop thought we should try to be at .2 degrees of toe in if I am remembering correctly, we couldn't get close.
    -Jay
    Seabrook, TX

We have a new Hunter machine and it will let you select different scales of measurement (we learned recently, as I had same question) From memory I think your .2 degree is in range of factory number. Just for grins put your car back on the rack tied down in the rear and measure across the front of the tires, then do same across the rear, that will be your total toe, that will give you some idea of where you are.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Thanks Ed. ...haven't even really started on the front. It is simply dry fit in to place with no torque yet. ...that said, it seemed OK.

On the rear we double checked the custom adjustable rear spring plate and it looks like when compared to factory SWB spring plate, it is about 4mm to short. I'm not sure if that is enough to cause all of the problem but surely it has an effect. We are going to hog out the holes on the modified plate ...(simply going to sacrifice this one) If that gets us within spec, we will either order new plates or make some from either some donor lwb plates or completely fab them up. If that doesn't work then I'll measure first and then likely strip the trailing arms and come visit you and Tom to get them checked on your trailing arm tool. ...really hoping the car doesn't have to go back to Roy's shop and put on the bench again.
    -Jay
    Seabrook, TX

I wasn't referring to the front. I was suggesting to measute the rear same way you do the front, that would give rough idea of the total toe in inch measurements so you would know roughly what one degree was.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Quote Originally Posted by edmayo View Post
    I wasn't referring to the front. I was suggesting to measute the rear same way you do the front, that would give rough idea of the total toe in inch measurements so you would know roughly what one degree was.
    ahhh, I read too fast. I just re-read and now I understand.

Thanks again.
    -Jay
    Seabrook, TX

OK... A bit of an update. Swapped the custom adjustable spring plates and the right side is now in spec so the fact that they are 4mm too short is a big deal.

On the left side I think I need to put the trailing arm on the jig next. I'll reach out to Tom or Ed and go have it checked.Name:  alignment.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  91.0 KB
    -Jay
    Seabrook, TX

I had a similar issue with my '65 to which I had added adjustable spring plates.