Thread: '72 Engine Sound Pad

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

'72 Engine Sound Pad

I have thrown out very few parts from my '72 but the two that sting the most are the rusty original muffler (w/tip) and the deteriorated/de-laminated engine sound pad.

I have seen a number of threads where this sound pad is asked about but there seem to be no real solutions. To be clear, this type of engine sound pad looks to have been used in a select window of 1972 [calendar year] production. From what I have read a portion of the 1971 calendar year produced units had the earlier jute/burlap type sound pad. My car was produced 4/72 and the engine pad I threw out in my youth was just as pictured in Gearby's post in this thread: http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...l=1#post905761

[edit] Per Steve's note below factory use of this basket weave engine sound pad was used as late as 12/72 for 73MY production.

I have been cleaning and preparing most of the sound absorbing material in my car and got to thinking about how to tackle the engine sound pad. The pattern of the inner rear wheel house linings look to be identical however these are on burlap versus the self deteriorating foam of the engine sound pad.

Looking up these parts in the manual I did notice there is a listing for just the sound pad material (sold by the meter, 999.913.006.00), however from online photos this material pattern looks to have been updated at least in the mid-1980's.

In lieu of finding the correct material my next thought was if I could get close. This has me currently looking at grey VW basket weave material.

https://www.jbugs.com/product/Y-BASKETWEAVE.html

I could then adhere this material to a modern foam lining. Please let me know if there are safety concern with regards with this approach or if you know of a better solution.

Thanks all,
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by MoparBoy72; 01-27-2020 at 04:51 PM.
    -Andrew
    '72 911E
    '82 931, '92 968, '93 968
    S Reg #1074