Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: '72 Engine Sound Pad

'72 Engine Sound Pad

I have thrown out very few parts from my '72 but the two that sting the most are the rusty original muffler (w/tip) and the deteriorated/de-laminated engine sound pad.

I have seen a number of threads where this sound pad is asked about but there seem to be no real solutions. To be clear, this type of engine sound pad looks to have been used in a select window of 1972 [calendar year] production. From what I have read a portion of the 1971 calendar year produced units had the earlier jute/burlap type sound pad. My car was produced 4/72 and the engine pad I threw out in my youth was just as pictured in Gearby's post in this thread: http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...l=1#post905761

[edit] Per Steve's note below factory use of this basket weave engine sound pad was used as late as 12/72 for 73MY production.

I have been cleaning and preparing most of the sound absorbing material in my car and got to thinking about how to tackle the engine sound pad. The pattern of the inner rear wheel house linings look to be identical however these are on burlap versus the self deteriorating foam of the engine sound pad.

Looking up these parts in the manual I did notice there is a listing for just the sound pad material (sold by the meter, 999.913.006.00), however from online photos this material pattern looks to have been updated at least in the mid-1980's.

In lieu of finding the correct material my next thought was if I could get close. This has me currently looking at grey VW basket weave material.

https://www.jbugs.com/product/Y-BASKETWEAVE.html

I could then adhere this material to a modern foam lining. Please let me know if there are safety concern with regards with this approach or if you know of a better solution.

Thanks all,
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by MoparBoy72; 01-27-2020 at 04:51 PM.
    -Andrew
    '72 911E
    '82 931, '92 968, '93 968
    S Reg #1074

Hi Andrew
    The engine sound padding in my MY 73 12/72 production RS that fits the description

Certainly not burlap. A foam that is degrading onto brown or grey dust behind a surface that has a faux wave to the plastic. Sort of brown.

I'd like to replace it with the same but never seen correct and of imagine even if NOS was available it would have degraded in the way old foam can do.

Later replacement black plastic rubber pads are not correct nor are the burlap.

I too would like an appropriate solution but need to be sure anything used is not a fire risk in an engine bay. Maybe I'll have to use burlap but that is not as it was originally on this car as far as I can tell.

Steve

Yes but not the same stuff.

Steve and Nick,

Thanks for the notes, I will edit my statement in the first post to reflect applicable build date range for the grey/brown/tan pseudo basket weave pattern on self destructing foam engine sound pad. Maybe basket weave engine sound pad for short...

The engine sound pad by Alex is certainly very nice but my car was fit with the basket weave type and I am looking to see how close I can get.
    -Andrew
    '72 911E
    S Reg #1074

I ordered some samples from a VW vinyl reproduction company so I could see the color and scale of their basket weave pattern. Well as you can tell none of these are spot on for color and the pattern is smaller on the sound insulation pattern.

I cut a 1/4" strip off of the brown vinyl to do a quick flammability check. Lit from my trusty MAP torch, the vinyl sample strip self extinguished each time it was lit. The only other positive quality I found from these samples was that they were reasonably thin.
    -Andrew
    '72 911E
    S Reg #1074

I had decided to move forward with a sort of hybrid engine sound pad after my last post. I ordered up one meter of grey reproduction VW vinyl and a the currently offered Porsche engine sound pad (911.556.891.01). To marry the two materials, I figured the same adhesive used to adhere the sound pad to the firewall would be more than acceptable, I picked up a can of 3M "yellow super trim adhesive" (P/n 08090). With the materials on hand and extra time at home, my results are below (pictures are a bit out of order).

I used the factory replacement part as a template for cutting the vinyl (slightly oversize). After making a template, cutting, gluing, then trimming the oversize edges things looked okay but the edge was a bit aesthetically unfinished. The factory replacement part is made of skinned foam but with an edge treatment of some sort of flexible rubber like coating. This helps seal the open cell foam and bind the skinned edge from lifting.

It took me a little bit of time to figure out a solution. I settled on masking and treating the edges with liquid electrical tape. I tested some spare material for flammability and again had passing results from the coating. After a few hours of masking and edging, I am ready to install it once I finish prepping the engine bay. The basket weave texture does not really allow for crisp edging as the liquid wants to flow into the depressions. In a few spots I was able to clean this up with a plastic detail pick. If any of you get your face deep into my engine bay to further critique my edging then beer is on me.

I hope you are all doing well,
    Last edited by MoparBoy72; 04-17-2020 at 12:22 PM.
    -Andrew
    '72 911E
    S Reg #1074

As a reference, I have re-posted Gearby's photos of the original material below.
    -Andrew
    '72 911E
    S Reg #1074

Pretty convincing if you ask me. Nice self-isolation project.

Ravi
    Early 911S Registry # 2395
    1973 Porsche 911S in ivory white 5sp MT
    2015 Porsche Macan S in agate grey 7sp PDK

Thanks Ravi! I just hope it holds up reasonably well also after a few heat cycles. I would also think there may be an insulation/dampening benefit from adding the vinyl layer, likely why it was used originally.
    -Andrew
    '72 911E
    S Reg #1074