Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: '72 Engine Sound Pad

Interested. Keep us posted as there is no available one that matches the one on my car. Key is flame and fire resistance

Quote Originally Posted by MoparBoy72 View Post
    Thanks Ravi! I just hope it holds up reasonably well also after a few heat cycles. I would also think there may be an insulation/dampening benefit from adding the vinyl layer, likely why it was used originally.
    yes, even better if its a lead vinyl layer...

Name:  5D8B7881-A706-4C6B-9D18-C138DA096B4F.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  123.8 KB
    Name:  1BE49927-FBDD-4F5A-87E3-E6E7603B14C6.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  248.4 KB
    Among bunch of random spare parts I have two interior rear quarter vinyl trims. From 72 car I was told. The additional sound deadening as a backing to the interior quarter panel is shown above which seems to tally with earlier comments.

Obviously it is not an engine bulkhead sound pad but I noted the surface finish And remembered this thread so posted it here due to the distinctive faux weave effect. No idea if original factory fit but clearly old (very ratty) the visible vinyl on the proper side has not been changed.

Don’t know much about interior vinyl trim quarter pads sound deadening on TES but the ones in my 72 built RS don’t have these hessian and rubber/ plastic backings nor do a different pair I got as spares for my RS from another first 500 series RS.

Name:  5B4F5F17-42C0-49D0-9CB3-7DB9F4656412.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  186.2 KB

Clearly the inner quarter backing is not in a position within the conditions of the engine compartment where fire and other considerations more relevant but sharing it while to hand as another example for information. Nor does it have the foam of the engine pad that is in some cases here simply disintegrating — hessian weave is visisble.

While it is good to have new engine pads and authentic replica pads available on the market is seems there might be a type of engine pad used around 72 that is not (yet?) available as an authentic replacement.

More pictures of factory fitted survivor examples of these particular engine pads fitted around calendar 72, even if disintegrating, should help give a picture of what was used when in that bulkhead inside engine bay. An originality detail. Maybe a factory sound deadening pad material finish that might get lost if owners with perished ones ar end of material life have to turn to Available good but different finish. In the affected engine pads the visible surface facing the engine is not breaking down—it is the foam backing that seems to be turning to dust. The surface layer might be saved on a complete one and put over one of the new rather garish smooth foam ones that jar but I suspect it would crack in the attempt and or soon delaminate. While I prefer not to use repro parts (vs NOS) it would be good to see the correct one being made again as I think the degradation is age related. Even if a NOS one is found the backing loses its properties as happens with man made foam of a certain vintage. Provably happen even if just on invventory albeit slower one in that hit oily dirty engine environment. Smaller less visible parts have been faithfully reproduced after all.

Steve
    Last edited by 911MRP; 05-19-2020 at 05:20 AM.

A word of warning if anyone is following me down this obscure path.

Upon gluing the engine sound pad in place it was clear the vinyl was not adhered properly. After some research post number seven in this link seemed to provide my next steps forward.

Hopefully, after carefully scuffing the closed cell foam in place I can then carefully re-glue the vinyl.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    -Andrew
    '72 911E
    '82 931, '92 968, '93 968
    S Reg #1074