Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rubber gas hoses go brittle again!

Rubber gas hoses go brittle again!

It seems every few years I'm having gas hoses go brittle and break. I have long known about this, and heard it is caused by today's gas. But it seems to be accelerating. I had it happen about 5 years ago on my 911, and it just happened again! I shudder at the thought of the pictures I've seen of those 911s that have had engine compartment fires over the years.

Are there any hoses that we can use on our cars that are more resistant to this?

Shared before but worth sharing again...

https://www.pure-gas.org/

I did just find this Gates Barricade hose that says it is good for modern gas.

https://www.gates.com/us/en/fluid-po...-000000-000000

Jay, are you using the german cloth braided hoses? They handle engine compartment heat much better than standard american fuel line hose.
    registry #2072

Actually, the hoses I used 5 years ago were straight from my local Porsche dealer. I find that yes, Porsche charges a ton more than what other places charge for "OEM" or non-OEM. But, in many cases the difference in quality is noticeable - and definitely "OEM" doesn't mean same quality as what Porsche gets from that manufacturer. Sometimes it is just a little more care in filing edges. Sometimes it's hard to tell. But sometimes it is a big difference. So because I bought the car for its quality, I try to keep it that way. But this may be a place where Porsche is behind.

I routinely add marine grade STABIL 360...aside from keeping fuel fresh, I believe it has some ethanol fighting properties...might help.

I'm in the process of replacing all my fuel lines. The vapor seeping through the lines after 9 or 10 years is enough to be dangerous. I'm going to use one of the Teflon lined lines on either end and hard lines through the tunnel. I do run aftermarket engine management so my situation is a little different. My understanding is the Teflon line will last quite a bit longer. For those who are trying to stay with the stock look, Teflon lined lines might not be a solution. I want to do this once and be done.
    Here is a guy I've talked to. His lines aren't for the long hood cars but he might know of a solution.
    http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...el-teflon.html
    1959 Auratium Green 356A Super w/ Rudge wheels
    1970 Irish Green 914-6 w/2.2S
    Current -1967 Bahama Yellow 912 POLO 2cam4 #1
    www.reSeeWorks.com
    Personalized Vintage Porsche's and parts
    I couldn't find the sports car of my dreams, so I built it myself-Ferdinand Porsche

The Gates works well to combat the ethanol but you loose the cloth covering. I keep both in the garage.

Regards

Had the problem with Wurth hoses many years ago, they must have solved it, haven't seen any issue for years now with their black braided.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

I have a book on fuels, dated 1953, by the Ethyl Corp., done for the US Navy & Air Force. It gives a comprehensive list of potential fuels and their characteristics. Gasolines are either paraffins or olefins. Both make good fuels, but switching from olefin to paraffins or vice-versa may cause synthetics in the fuel system to deteriorate. It seems that hoses, etc. can tolerate either type fuel, but not both. This happened in California about 30 years ago, when MTBE was added to fuels, resulting in a number of automobile engine fires. Ethanolin the fuel may be active here, too.