Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trophies

Trophies

The famous British Grand Prix Trophy owned by the RAC
    Name:  IMG_20200129_203551.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  120.0 KB

Little is known of the origins of the gold trophy and despite much research, the Royal Automobile Club has never been able to establish where it came from. The only clue lies in the motto which displays, 'Floreat Etona' or 'let Eton Flourish', suggesting perhaps that it was donated to the Royal Automobile Club by Club Member the late Sir Charles Rolls, co-founder of the Rolls Royce Motor Company and former pupil of Eton College.
    Last edited by 911MRP; 02-14-2020 at 07:56 AM.

Trophies

Back from an event tonight; invited some Porsche friends as my guests.. things on display: British Grand Prix Trophy with winners names starting from 1950, original Royal Automobile Club Tourist Trophy still awarded today (not the homage at Goodwood Revival that often draws mti million grid) , Dewar Trophy, Simms Medal etc etc

Various other priceless artefacts e.g. Sir Stirling Moss' personal scrapbooks documenting his long career.
    Name:  IMG_20200129_203555.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  93.0 KB
    Last edited by 911MRP; 01-29-2020 at 05:24 PM.

...Toto brought the car to the home of the trophy.

Clubhouse in London not far as Mercedes F1 Team (Brackley) and their F1 engine High Performance Power Trains facility (Brixworth) both based in Northamptonshire UK after all.

Name:  Screenshot_20200214-131458~4.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  65.5 KBName:  Screenshot_20200214-131552~2.jpg
Size:  96.9 KB
    Name:  Screenshot_20200214-132041~2.jpg
Size:  122.6 KB

Steve

Cool pictures Steve, thanks for sharing.
    Simon Webb

1970 911S
    1973 2.7RS
    1975 2.7 Carrera MFI

1977 3.0 Carrera

GRRC Member

Quote Originally Posted by webbyontheweb View Post
    Cool pictures Steve, thanks for sharing.
    Cheers Simon. Professional shots I'm not that good.

Pity one of our usual catch-ups there wasn't on that particular day otherwise you'd have caught it. Members and guests treated to an impromptu unveiling. Video slideshow of the event too:

https://youtu.be/7ke7pCJqA4U

Other teams have used the RAC including a Williams F1 full car car launch in the past and last year Hass sponsor launch like this one from Mercedes:

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/a...-the-long-term

Team fortunes ebb and flow, driver's careers peak & die (sadly some literally) meanwhile the historic Club motors on etching driver wins at British GP on on the gold trophy owned by the club and it's members.

Coincidentally the picture of the trophy in first post was on open display at the event I invited you as my guest, but you were were travelling.

I've sent you an SMS to rescehedule.

See you soon

Steve
    Last edited by 911MRP; 02-14-2020 at 08:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 911MRP View Post
    Back from an event tonight; invited some Porsche friends as my guests.. things on display: British Grand Prix Trophy with winners names starting from 1950, original Royal Automobile Club Tourist Trophy still awarded today (not the homage at Goodwood Revival that often draws mti million grid) , Dewar Trophy, Simms Medal etc etc

Various other priceless artefacts e.g. Sir Stirling Moss' personal scrapbooks documenting his long career.
    Name:  IMG_20200129_203555.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  93.0 KB
    Such amazing names...and memories...
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Hi Peter with a new rotunda car every week plus cars for special occasions arriving at the revolving doors is interesting for us members and our guests

By no means all F1 but one of just two MS80s Matra from 69 as used in the championship by the sole survivor and Club member JYS
    Name:  Screenshot_20200214-164307~2.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  190.9 KB
    Also the Tyrell 003 made an appearance
    Name:  Screenshot_20200214-163129~2.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  119.2 KB

Porsches from time to time too
    Name:  Screenshot_20200214-164513~2.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  98.7 KB

For historians and to bookend the Mercedes F1 car of last week possibly one of the oldest to appear in the Rotunda an 1894 Benz Sociable 1.5hp that predates the foundation of the Club by three years still going strong 125 years with special registration plate A6.

Name:  Screenshot_20200214-170435~2.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  90.2 KB

Following the motor car act of 1903 first mark to be issued in London on Jan 1 1904 was plate A1 and this was registered to Earl Russell. Possibly the RAC was the licencing authority as the only private motoring club with authority to issue licences. Generally licencing of vehicles and drivers from 1904 Act was done at County / Borough Council's then eventually centralised for the UK in the DVLA from mid 60s with the advent of computerized systems; adoption of the county and borough decentralised records through the 70s.

The club established the UK's first driving proficiency tests for owners and an even more rigorous one including mechanical proficiency for their chauffeurs. Driving tests linked to licences was only adopted by the UK government in the mid 1930s.

The Club's motoring archives have the first speeding ticket issued in the UK the the first licences and so forth. Example of a very early driving certificate issued by the Club just before the Act of January 1904 -- also before it got Royal patronage and changed its name. The example shown excludes mechanical proficiency do likley an owner, not a chauffeur.

Name:  __1440x9999.Drivers-Licence.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  85.9 KB

The RAC was the only governing body of UK motorsport as an FIA ASN, links to RAC MSA now Motorsport UK remain.

Steve
    Last edited by 911MRP; 02-14-2020 at 10:10 AM.

If that's the Matra that Jackie Stewart raced at Monaco in 1969, I got to see it real time. I was 9 years old and traveling with my Dad on an Autoweek tour.
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

That's cool Peter. Always enjoyed Monaco when I worked in F1. Not always the best racing bit has had its moments ..but always unique event and Cannes film festival around same time brings a buzz to the riviera.

I am not an expert on Matra so others might know more about it but as far as I know there were only two MS80s. -1 and -2. -1 is in the Matra museum in France and this is -2. Quite whixh driver drove which chassis in 69 is beyond my anorakong pay grade but generally speaking with the RAC being the the pre-eminent motor club in UK and the only FIA ASN governing body for all Motorsport the UK the things that pass through its rotunda are typically the real deal unless noted on the display card.

Sir Jackie held his 80th at the clubhouse last year and the Queen was his guest (but unfortunately my invite must've been lost in the post). The clubhouse is yards from St James Palace and Marlborough House royal palaces and a few hundred years from Buckingham Palace. Neverless not usual for her majesty to attend things so great honour for JYS. Maybe the Matra or Tyrell above was the the display for that because rotunda displays are chosen for an occasion being held at club.

In short likely the real deal you saw as one of the two but like old racers who knows the back story and can't be sure.

Steve

PS can I just take this oprtumity to say thank you for the moderation role on ESR a task for which your efforts probably go largely unrecognised by the many who greatly enjoy the forum.
    Last edited by 911MRP; 02-14-2020 at 11:45 AM.

Thanks for sharing these wonderful photos and the history that went with them. I have many fond memories of the 1960's.
    David

911 S Registry # 1054
    1970 911 E Coupe Signal Orange (#1414)
    1979 BMW 320i
    2001 Boxster S
    2003 Audi Allroad 2.7T Tiptronic
    2014 Jetta Sportwagon TDI DSG ( sold back to Volkswagen)
    2015 Allroad 2.0 TFSI