Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bilstein Jack Disassembly?

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    For the sake of completeness, here are photos from two earlier Driver's Manuals.

First, a 1965 Driver's Manual:

Name:  Jacks_1965.jpg
Views: 439
Size:  106.5 KB
    Type 911 W 312 e Edition I/65

This is the same jack [Part # 644.722.010.00] as in 911MRP's lower photos but different cars. The lack of rocker trim implies these are likely 901s. One shows a chromed wheel and the other's painted.

Porsche's unwillingness to bring in a photographer has been more extreme. I have an early 911 brochure which had "901" retouched out on the glovebox and there was a 356C brochure with the hubcaps on a 356B retouched to portray the disk brake car.

Back further in time, my 356A's Driver's Manual has this:

Name:  Jacking.jpg
Views: 421
Size:  124.1 KB
    WKD 460 020 ∙ September 1957 Edition ∙ Reprint March 1964 ∙ Printed in Germany

According to Eric Cherneff's 356 Tools website that style jack was 1955 only. Those skinny wheels show the car's a pre-A.
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA
    Early 911S Registry # 237

1965 Porsche 911 coupe
    1958 Porsche 356A cabriolet

And at the other end of the longhood jack date spectrum the picture in a genuine model year 73 driver's manual from late 72
    Attachment 514361
    This published from around the beginning of model year 73 with the screw jack illustrates the wheel change. It uses a rare version of screw jack featuring English "up down" wording in black letters set against a pale -- presumably yellow -- dot (not commonly seen green dot that would appear much darker in black and white shot).

Attachment 514359

From a different angle photo in same drivers manual it very clearly has the folded U-Shaped metal peg . The peg has a couple of curved quarter circle indentations pressed in the near where it hinges. In this photo it is very clearly not the cast peg used on some ( later?) 911 jacks of similar type:
    Attachment 514360

The handle when viewed from the different perspective in second driver's book photo has an offset to give knuckles clearance from jack body when in use. The photos of it in use shows the handle to be a "lolipop" shape with pressed profile / indentations for strength -- not the non-offset teardrop handle of various shapes, sizes and indentations seen over years through well into the impact bumper era.

PORSCHE manuals are not always representative of final specification for accessories etc of course however is this illustration the first one to feature a picture of a screw type jack part number 914.721.011.10 72- in a 911 factory official publication? I suspect the German language equivalent model 73 owner's manual precedes the publication date of this British market .20 suffix version. I haven't checked my German copy but expect it uses same screw jack image.

The distinctive "up down" wording on a yellow ( pale grey) dot might have been considered an artist's mock-up just for use in a driver's manual photograph. The words on dot an artefact added in the photography studio to further highlight the newer style screw action -- except (as pictured) I do have one of that same type.

This is my screw jack of the same type pictured in the 73 driver's manual with the same yellow not green dot featuring "up" "down" directional wording.
    Name:  Screenshot_20200202-184918~2.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  35.4 KB

In my original paper parts catalogue (page is Modification II. 9/72) so the same publication date and the driver's manual pictures this is the reference to the current 911 jack ( but no line drawing)

Attachment 514383

In the previous year paper parts book it was
    Attachment 514393

My several edition December 64 paper parts books-- albeit relevant page shows modifications: II 1/66 and in my second copy of 64 edition page shows: VIII 3/69. However both have this same jack part number so evidently correct for that period ifans likley earlier:
    Attachment 514395

Again no line drawings for those earlier spare part books .

So information snapshots from factory hard copy books dating from back in the days of longhoods tally with the (occasionally confusing due to supercession) online PET as previously posted by Jim Alton.

Posts are straying from original question into the evolution of jacks used on 911 ( as illustrated in factory driver's/owner's manuals) but presumably the jack In OP question is in bits by now; or maybe even restored and reassembled.

To me the extra input the initial question triggered is of interest. If the extra information is not appropriate to the narrow "disassembly" question maybe the moderators can duplicate the later more general postings to start a reference thread (or maybe even a sticky). A thread where evidence based input on longhood jacks can be consolidated. The research into evolution of jacks is rather patchy and comments are scattered around the forum with at times potentially misleading / confusing comments spread over many threads.

Always happy to be corrected or learn from experts here.

Steve
    Last edited by 911MRP; 02-01-2021 at 09:48 PM. Reason: More photos found during my digging taken from original not reprints of on period driver's manuals and parts books

Done...Thanks to all
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Tom Butler
    1973 RSR Clone
    1970 911E
    914-6 GT Clone in Progress

The Jack shown on arne’s post is earlier than my longhood era of interest — which is the green and rare yellow dot screw style for the early part of model year 73 As featured on the drivers book.

However: Question for the tool experts regarding this earlier one.

Quote Originally Posted by Arne View Post
    I had to clean some rust from the top of mine to get it to come off as well.

Is the distinctive shape of the foot on this example indicative of a date range it was used? Haven’t to got it to hand but pretty sure I have one like Arne shows that iirc came with an original tool bag and some but not all tools — just curious as other feet are different shape; see immediately prior post. Presumably the association with toolkit wil tell me but maybe someone knows?

Steve
    Last edited by 911MRP; 02-01-2021 at 10:15 PM.