Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Recaro sport seats. Never restored. Very nice condition with console.

I love when my ultra experienced friends call me out of frustration on a thread like this and say this guy doesn’t know what he is talking about. This is not the first thread where “recarno” makes a blanket statement of “this is wrong and I know better” (without a single explanation or providing any evidence). Telling us to use a search function when you are the one making claims of something being incorrect or different is rather ridiculous, because no one knows what you are talking about.

There used to be the “sport seat police” on this forum. A group of guys that knew about correct sports seats because they had original cars. Unfortunately much of that info was lost when the board was hacked. I was honored when one of the original guys said to me you have earned your way on the force. Having a ton of money invested in sports seats for my own 911S cars I do take this seriously and I base my knowledge on the hundreds of cars and seats I have seen. I started with my first pair of sports seats in 2004 when they were $2500pr. Now there seems to be so many people who base their knowledge on what they have read or what someone told them and the waters are sometimes so muddy. It is true that sports seats are very complex and for this reason there is no reproduction that can fool us that know. Especially when talking vinyl/leather material this is a difficult topic and these materials are NOT AVAILABLE NEW no matter what someone tells you so only a good substitute can be used - which is what we are all trying to do here. Many people who dig out a set of sports seats for the first time from storage or an inheritance have no idea so yes often those claims on a first offered seat can be false, you have to take all this info with a grain of salt.

It’s 2020 and we don’t need to develop film anymore so shooting a picture and posting it is very easy. There is no excuse for not backing up hard headed opinions with pictures, no matter what job or obligations you have in your outside life. Pictures speak 1000 words. For my contribution today here is a genuine 68 sport bucket with original covers and a genuine cover from a 67 sport seat. Then the holy grail - the Jennings million dollar 67 911S which is the most fantastic original car I have ever seen. My pictures and the parts were in my hands. I don’t see that there is a difference in perforations between SWB and LWB. The point is you want a wide hexagonal pattern which none of the big USA upholstery shops are doing (I’m in San Diego half the Porsche trimmer talent in the country is here).

To the seller and buyer of the original seats in this thread - great seats, excellent example, no complaints. Those seats are a wonderful reference for a 69-71ish car.

I took this not so good photo yesterday when I took my all original 67S car out for a drive. Original unrestored 67 sport seats. If this helps.

94D299ED-4B9D-48D3-BC9D-B8177984ABEF.jpg

Here you go, nice seat!

67Seat.jpg
    Mike Fitton # 2071
    2018 911S Carrera White
    2012 991 Platinum Silver ( Gone)
    1971 911T Targa Bahia Red (Gone to France)
    1995 911 Carrera Polar Silver (Gone)

No Affiliation with City of Chicago!

So seriously: is anyone here (except for these vintage xcellen) who actually sees NO difference in the perforation of all swb perforations posted here (including mine) to the lwb perforation posted on page 1 post 1 of this thread ???

surprised greetings

this is not original jan , sorry

and especially for mr vintageexcellen who apologizes from me wants (with which right and for what?) and EVIDENCES from me wants (with which right?), I chose the old thread so that he can still sit back comfortably in his couch and not have to search for himself: show yours Places - post no 360. and only as a precaution: no dear vintagexcellen you do not have to apologize to me, it would be enough if you would simply ignore my posts here in the forum in the future - many thanks for that!

@ all: I'm sorry for the hard words on this member, but instead of looking at my two pictures and admiring the quality of the material and the work of this repair, this crap is written here - too bad, really too bad :-(

Recarno - the work was so good and the background so identical I thought someone messed with the photo!

Really good.

thank you, richard. As already written by mail, every doubter can easily see that the letherette part on the right (the defective) has actually been replaced by simply looking at the cross seam of the basketwave center panel to the right at the first points of the perforation and the rhombus that begins there compares to that of repairs. NEVERTHELESS: I consider it a great compliment for this work that you obviously CAN'T see that part of the over 50 year old letherette was exchanged for brand new one seat. THAT is exactly what you expect from a clean repair, isn't it?

greetings

This is a thread that should be helpful here. See post #38 by Recarno where his lack of experience in these seats shows very conclusively.
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...-305556S/page4

Note the pics on the last page. The holes on original seats that have not been exposed to sun and stretching are closer together and flat, see the last pic in post #44.
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...-305556S/page4

I personally believe that the perforations are the same in sport seats between SWB and LWB. But I also think that there's an effect on black color seats more than other colors. I will try to show this at some time when I can access all of my sport seats... this is a theory of mine due to higher heat that a black interior would get in the summer than other colors, particularly when being sat on. It's just a thought of mine. I need to do more comparisons of colors to confirm or not, and I could be completely wrong, but in looking at many pics of these and owning many of these seats it's a thought of mine.

To me it's sad that there are those on this board who jump out and claim knowledge without being able to back it up. Then there's others that read a bit here and there and then based on owning a car or maybe 2 claim knowledge based on "their" car regardless of when they got it and it's history. Far too many changes on these cars have occurred in the last 2 decades, when the cars were younger we could glean knowledge more readily as the cars were less valuable and the cars had less time (and owners) to be "screwed with". There's significant information that was lost here when the site was hacked, and also with the loss of posts by Raj and Smith. We've also lost a lot of people that used to post here that have a wealth of knowledge and with the "hack" their previous posts are lost and they don't want to post again (and why would they given the dumpster fires of many threads).

Note that VintageExcellence (Mark) has been doing this as a passion and true "work" for decades. He and others like him have had dozens of cars (perhaps hundreds) and seats go through their hands and while knowledge is never perfect (nobody's is) as there is truly too much to know, there is a default that has been earned by that they have seen and respect for those opinions has been earned.

Also of note there is a lot more knowledge, questions, etc that float around outside of this and other boards via PM's calls and emails by many of the "old guard" to determine originality etc. So,... the voiced opinions here is not just the knowledge of a single person.. it's also a compendium (is that a word) of knowledge of many people. I have to say that my knowledge base is not just mine, it's from Mark, Rolly, Gary Emory, Tom Bridgers, Tony Garcia, Moito, SWBSAM, Raj, Jeff Smith, Robert Gross, Rick Cabell, Jim Newton, Victor Miles, Ernie Wilberg, Dirk Layer, Jim Brazeale, Satman, Don Ahearn, BernieB, Jim Shuh, Scott Tong, Dave DiMaria, Chuck House, "Frank", Larry Markham, and literally hundreds of others. It's also looking at hundreds (thousands) of cars over the years. The data base that myself and others have compiled is staggering, I own every issue of Excellence, Panorama, Christophorus, 356Registry, and hundreds of books on the subject, multiple copies (for print dates) of parts books, and workshop manuals.

Sorry, I get on a soapbox sometime.

Cheers, and truly a really nice set of seats that were purchased by Rower. You should find a set of headrests for them imho.

E