Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Query on 72 911 t

Query on 72 911 t

when I turn to the left I have a profound howl, either in or out of gear, its coming from the rear. Doesn't do it when I turn to the right. Not a tire rub 195 r6515. Michelins. Is it normal to have end play at both ends of the half shafts? I can see why you would have one end with play, but both? I am beginning to suspect either alignment or worn control arm pivot. The cv joints look solid and I can't see any obvious wear marks.This is a 20 year barn car that surfaced in September last, if that has any relevance. Yes the lug nuts are tight.
    Any help is appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by patjolson View Post
    when I turn to the left I have a profound howl, either in or out of gear, its coming from the rear. Doesn't do it when I turn to the right. Not a tire rub 195 r6515. Michelins. Is it normal to have end play at both ends of the half shafts? I can see why you would have one end with play, but both? I am beginning to suspect either alignment or worn control arm pivot. The cv joints look solid and I can't see any obvious wear marks.This is a 20 year barn car that surfaced in September last, if that has any relevance. Yes the lug nuts are tight.
    Any help is appreciated.
    I would still suspect the RR CV joints.

Regards

Jim

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    I vote for RR wheel bearing, they tend to make a more consistent noise when loaded, where CV’s click and knock in my experience.

2 votes for the wheel bearing . Does the wheel have any play or movement ?

thanks for all the input, there is no play in the wheels.

thanks for all the input, there is no play in the wheels.
    I’m changing my vote to RR wheel bearing.

Jim

wheel bearing inspection coming soon!

Half shafts

wheel bearing inspection coming soon!
    Ok
    new shafts from PMO arrived. Old I believe original are out .
    I have read that some like a gasket tween the pcs and others have said no gasket is necessary.
    I hesitate to button this thing up w/o said gaskets. Spent too much time on my back under this car, would like to avoid going there again.
    question is, since PMO sends these w/o said gasket, am I ok w/o it?
    FYI the half shafts came out nicely once the shock lower was removed. The joints were approaching dry. I wouldn't say bone dry but because of the boot deteriation and age I believe the joints were beginning to stiffen, at least it felt less flexible than the new PMO shafts. Whether this resolves the howl remains to be seen.
    ANY input from someone wha has been there is most appreciated.

ORIGINAL 72 axles used gaskets at the CV joints. Since you have new shafts not sure whether you have the covered joints. What does the vendor say ?
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Today
    being Sunday
    that's the first question I wil ask tomorrow! Since I spent all of this day in the yard
    Have one done and feel it is prudent to ask b4 going furtherl