Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1972 Trunk floor color (front pan area)

1972 Trunk floor color (front pan area)

I have been looking around and trying to align a few details on my car to see if what I started with was correct or not.

Currently, I am looking to understand if the front pan area of the trunk could have left the factory painted black circa 4/72.

Searching through numerous threads for details it seems may combinations are possible and changes in production occurred frequently.
    -It was fun reviewing the "show us your luggage compartment" thread and a few others.

In the end, I was intrigued to see one of the "before" pictures in Jamie's thread on "Project Minne".

I noticed similar black paint on the inner front pan as what I had seen on my E. I had thought it was a bit odd but since my car had been repainted to red at some point in the past it seemed to be a quick way to hide any [previously] offensive green paint.

Certainly an odd and potentially non quantifiable question...but what do you say?
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    -Andrew
    '72 911E
    '82 931, '92 968, '93 968
    S Reg #1074

I'm far from an expert, Andrew, but based on evidence from my early '72 (8/71 build) I don't think it likely the inside of the front trunk was blacked out at factory. There is/was no trace of black in my car's trunk, beyond the VIN stamping pad. The rest was silver, more or less. They apparently didn't put much effort into painting the body color in the trunk, much of it was poorly covered and thin.
    Last edited by Arne; 02-13-2020 at 07:35 AM.
    - Arne
    Current - 2018 718 Cayman, Rhodium Silver, PDK

Sold - 1972 911T coupe, Silver Metallic; 1984 911 Carrera coupe, Chiffon white; 1973 914 2.0, Saturn Yellow; 1984 944, Silver Metallic

my 72 t trunk is yellow same as the body

Arne,

Thanks for the feedback.

Pat,

Do you happen to know when your T was built?

Thanks,
    -Andrew
    '72 911E
    '82 931, '92 968, '93 968
    S Reg #1074

here is a picture of my 1/72 S trunk area. It has a light gold over spray over the light primer.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Bill Cilker, Jr.
    Gold 72 911S
    31 Ford Model A
    PCA, Early S Registry (#98) & RGruppe (#272)
    Rotarian

If you go to the Technical Section and search underbody, there are some great photos of several years and good comments
    73.5 Snrf T
    71 Snrf T
    70S targa
    76 914 2.0
    82 Targa,
    85 Alfa GTV6
    60 Lancia Appia Zagato GTE
    Searching for transmission 7115322 (911/01)

VIN is 9112102800. I am new to this game,I don't know, I'm sure there is a guru out there that can tell you what DAY and HOUR it was built.

Bill, my 72 T washer bottle is located to the right of the hood latch. Is that correction yours? Did they differentiate location between an S and a T ?

I have an air conditioner in my car and that is why the washer bottle is located up there.
    The air conditioner condenser blower is mounted where your bottle is.
    Bill
    Bill Cilker, Jr.
    Gold 72 911S
    31 Ford Model A
    PCA, Early S Registry (#98) & RGruppe (#272)
    Rotarian

Quote Originally Posted by patjolson View Post
    Bill, my 72 T washer bottle is located to the right of the hood latch. Is that correction yours? Did they differentiate location between an S and a T ?
    Quote Originally Posted by WHCJr72S View Post
    I have an air conditioner in my car and that is why the washer bottle is located up there.
    The air conditioner condenser blower is mounted where your bottle is.
    Bill
    To add a clarification, that washer bottle location is for cars with 'factory' A/C. Dealer A/C did not relocate the bottle. My '72 T is the same as Bill's S.
    - Arne
    Current - 2018 718 Cayman, Rhodium Silver, PDK

Sold - 1972 911T coupe, Silver Metallic; 1984 911 Carrera coupe, Chiffon white; 1973 914 2.0, Saturn Yellow; 1984 944, Silver Metallic