Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Original 911R 901/52 Gearbox

Restoration newbie.
    Firstly we should remember that anything is possible with prototype cars from Stuttgart, they may have tested the cars on the track and added serials after.

I won't say that number isn't what is supposed to be there but it sure looks to be struck some time after the gouge was made in the case.

For reference here is an original 901/52 stamping from a box out of the race Dept.

Screenshot_20200215-084533.jpg

andy
    67S in pieces
    EarlyS: 1358
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    Numbers are correct. 901/ is a gang stamp with type number added. Gordon
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thank you for posting this Gordon. Those who know, know. Are the doubters satisfied or do we both have phony R gearboxes?? This is why I rarely post numbers anymore.
    Last edited by Rennman; 02-14-2020 at 04:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennman View Post
    Thank you for posting this Gordon. Those who know, know. Are the doubters satisfied or do we both have phony R gearboxes?? This is why I rarely post numbers anymore.
    Just a late comer here and never doubted you - just read this thread with interest. Of course, when we ask for the big dollars associated with rare special things, we do need to prove our claim so I wouldn’t take offense either! Glad though it was discussed as I learned something.

Now I’m puzzled why that 911r doesn’t want it back!

With factory race cars Probably rarely ever get what they really raced with as they swapped so many things as it suited them - and does it even matter?

No offense taken. I also posted a 7R wheel yesterday and had multiple people tell me it is a deep six! Gets to be a pain in the ass. Any buyer should certainly do their homework. Again I can not speculate on why it is not wanted for the original car. The box did come from a past owner from years back.
    Last edited by Rennman; 02-14-2020 at 04:32 PM.

I appreciate folks like you sharing rarely seen parts and cars.
    It's an enthusiast site, so I think the discussion is to be expected.

If anything, the thread just adds to the appeal of the item.
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

Don,

it is an open forum here, where topics are and will be discussed. I never said, that the numbers are wrong, I said, the numbers look strange. I asked for pictures of 911R boxes and gled49 did, what I appreciate a lot. We learned, that there are different type of stamping on the cases.

If you are not willing that posts are discussed, and I did it in an adequat way, than you are free to stop posting here.

I think, it's a place where everybody could learn a lot and life is a life long learning. And learning is only possible if you ask, when something isn't clear for you!

Best Claudius

No need for any lecture Claudius. I simply posted this gearbox here to get it sold. Nothing more. Thank you.

I think, the points are clear! Good luck with the sale Don - my last post here on this thread! Claudius

I've started a new thread on gearboxes.

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...65#post1049765

Bump for Don's wonderful box!!!

e