Thread: 911S to T/R

911S to T/R

Hey guys,

I bought a cancelled ST-restauration project some time ago. When I bought it, the body of the car was based on a 911S SWB but already fully restored, only the engine was missing. Now we build a complete drivetrain for the car, based on a 3.2 SS engine with 46 Weber carbs, twin-plug and 915 transmission with limited slip differential. We restored the whole electricity and all the stuff. Find images attached.

Now the last part of the project has come: We wanted to fix the bumpers and the flares. Unfortunately I realized, that the trailing arms in the back are kinda home-build. They seem to be based on steel LWB flares and were cut and modified at the ends. The wheelbase is somewhat between a SWB and LWB. One addition, the dampers are in contact with the hole in the body. In order to fit everything in place I am thinking of two possible ways:
    1. Remove the modified trailing arms and substitute by real SWB arms > Replace the back sidepanel
    2. Fix the trailing arms somehow > Fix the flares

I love the way the ST is looking with the wide flares. I am already thinking of going in this direction: https://www.conceptcarz.com/profile/...he-911-tr.aspx or https://www.classicdriver.com/en/art...porsche-911-tr.

What would you do? Do you know anyone that can help me get the flares for the T/R?

All the best,
    Max

Name:  WhatsApp Image 2020-02-18 at 20.30.25.jpg
Views: 487
Size:  89.4 KBName:  WhatsApp Image 2020-02-17 at 22.29.40.jpg
Views: 471
Size:  77.2 KBName:  WhatsApp Image 2020-02-18 at 20.28.17.jpg
Views: 440
Size:  75.1 KB

Hey guys,

After sleeping over this, one additional question:
    - Are all the T/R based on SWB-cars?
    - Which type of flares are on those T/R cars? I have found some with wider flares and some that look rather like R-versions...

Appreciate any help. I am really lost in this topic and you guys seem to be an enormous ressource here...

Best,
    Max

Don't know about your trailing arms, but really like the body color five gauge dashboard. To me, that's the way they should have been made.

Yes, the T/R was a 1968 SWB variant. This thread may be of some assistance:

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...purpose-thread

The rear suspension had multiple changes from the SWB days into 1972 model year with the 915 transmission. A lot of bodywork changes are needed to change a SWB to a LWB and accommodate the trailing arms and 915 transmission. My suggestion would be to make the decision: SWB version of a 911R or a 911 T/R, or a LWB version of the 911ST. In my opinion, if you have a SWB, then stick with the R or T/R. Trying to put a monster engine in a SWB without huge changes is very difficult, and forever devalues the car.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

I vote for option 1 and a R or T/R tribute
    SEARCHING FOR ENGINE 6208326 (last seen in car with VIN 9111101452)

-70 911E
    -84 3,2 Sold