Thread: WTB: original set of headliner bows. All 4

WTB: original set of headliner bows. All 4

Need all 4 so non sun roof. Thanks, -Scott
    72S, 72T now ST

Scott

Just go to your local dealer and order them. They are surprisingly cheap and available.

Regards

Jim

Here's the problem Jim. They don't fit and we have to shorten them and reweld them. It's a pain in the ass so hoping for some originals.
    72S, 72T now ST

Quote Originally Posted by Longballa View Post
    Here's the problem Jim. They don't fit and we have to shorten them and reweld them. It's a pain in the ass so hoping for some originals.
    Gotcha! .........................

I know someone has these and now that I want them you won't give it up. Haha, bump.
    72S, 72T now ST

I have a set for you here in Australia, but I'm guessing someone closer could help out?

Quote Originally Posted by Longballa View Post
    Scott

Now you have me wondering. I'm in the same boat. I removed the sunroof from my Karmann built 71 911T and have a set of headliner bows bought from the dealer. I haven't tried to install them yet but do remember that 356 Coupes used different headliner bows depending the factory in which the were built. The part numbers suggest that they are early parts and not "substituted" by a later part. I guess I'll just try and install them and report back.

Glad I still have my originals. Jim, it might be interesting to measure your new ones and compare to the originals from my early '72. It is not a Karmann coupe, but it might give some data points.
    - Arne
    Current - 2018 718 Cayman, Rhodium Silver, PDK

Sold - 1972 911T coupe, Silver Metallic; 1984 911 Carrera coupe, Chiffon white; 1973 914 2.0, Saturn Yellow; 1984 944, Silver Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by Arne View Post
    Glad I still have my originals. Jim, it might be interesting to measure your new ones and compare to the originals from my early '72. It is not a Karmann coupe, but it might give some data points.
    Of the 4 bows, two are the same and the other 2 are different. I am sure that I have thrown away 100s of headliner bows because nobody every wanted or needed them. The last person who I ever expected to need a set of them was me. No one in their right mind would ever remove a perfectly good sunroof from a factory sunroof car. That was my thinking until recently and I'm one of those idiots that has spent lots of money to remove an item that adds value and came with the car never thinking there would be a problem with headliner bows. I should have known better after 50 years of watching Porsche "supersede" part numbers to a later part that rarely fit correctly. The kicker is that these bows all have the correct part numbers and haven't been superseded. I should be attemptiong to install my new, non sunroof, headliner in the next couple of weeks and will report back.

Have you tried Retro Automotive?
    http://www.retroautomotiveproducts.com/
    John Schiavone

Connecticut

356 Cab, 66 911, 914-6, 550-Beck, 981 Cayman, 54 MV Agusta Dustbid