Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fuchs Question

Quote Originally Posted by Arne View Post
    Flat six wheels changed from 66mm center hole to 70mm in late '73. Probably all (or virtually all) '73 had 3-ear caps.

Deep sixes to flat changeover was around 3/71, IIRC.
    Hi Arne/ Fuchs experts

I have an orphan 1071 flat 7x15 original Fuchs with the 66mm centre and safety humps etc kicking around. Although this same wheel was used for model year 73 RS at rear ( and later at front) what 911 would that wheel with a 1071 date 66mm hole safety bumps have been used on? Not aware of that 7 inch so called flat Fuchs design being a fitment for production road 911 in model 72. The casting number is not very clear but the Porsche triangle mark and this features of the wheels are genuine flat 7.

Steve

A little off topic, but where are you sending them for refurb? I’m in Tennessee and a few weeks from the same exercise for my 69 911e. I’ve looked up sources here and elsewhere, but many seem at risk of being out of date, some are clearly out of business or no longer doing wheels or they are on the west coast (not that that’s a deal breaker).
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by 911MRP View Post
    Hi Arne/ Fuchs experts

I have an orphan 1071 flat 7x15 original Fuchs with the 66mm centre and safety humps etc kicking around. Although this same wheel was used for model year 73 RS at rear ( and later at front) what 911 would that wheel with a 1071 date 66mm hole safety bumps have been used on? Not aware of that 7 inch so called flat Fuchs design being a fitment for production road 911 in model 72. The casting number is not very clear but the Porsche triangle mark and this features of the wheels are genuine flat 7.

Steve
    I found this prior thread on this forum
    https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...-early-3-prong
    Name:  IMG_6059.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  47.9 KB

Interesting that the picture of the 971 7x15 wheel that was previously offered for sale in that thread has the what appears to have a similar over-stamp of the casting number suffix .01 Compare the last digit “1” of the casting number in the picture above to the casting number suffix of my example (it’s quite feint other than the final 1) in picture of one Fuchs made and stamped the following month that I took today:
    Name:  IMG_6057.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  92.1 KB
    Name:  IMG_6056.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  75.0 KB
    Name:  IMG_6061.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  47.4 KB
    Also found this post in a thread which refers to the over-stamp large 1 so added an abridged quote here
    https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...ght=Fuchs+weld

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Weidman View Post
    Those ….. The early 7s (and many other wheels) had the part number frequently stamped over (like your big "1"). The mould was the same for the center portion and the forger sometimes forgot to change the removable part number dies when changing over to the next size. (or sometimes they didn't have the right die combo) The 3 prong wheels were discontiuned in 8/73…
    H
    Still not clear what model a flat 7x15 wheel with 1071 date would be fitted to, doubt it’s correct for even very early 73RS.
    Steve
    Last edited by 911MRP; 07-24-2023 at 11:13 AM. Reason: Add photos and another link

member #1515
    Quote Originally Posted by tc911e View Post
    A little off topic, but where are you sending them for refurb? I’m in Tennessee and a few weeks from the same exercise for my 69 911e. I’ve looked up sources here and elsewhere, but many seem at risk of being out of date, some are clearly out of business or no longer doing wheels or they are on the west coast (not that that’s a deal breaker).
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Tim
    Harvey Weidmann if you have the time and can reach him is the best. Fuchsrestoration is very good and quick turnaround. https://www.fuchsrestoration.com
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs