Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fuchs Question

Fuchs Question

Hello All,

I just removed the fuchs off my 71T (15x6 et36) to send them out to get refurbished. I noticed one rim was noticeably heavier once the tires were removed. Upon further inspection it has a date code from 79’ versus the other ones from 71’.

Did they switch to aluminum or is it heavier from different casting methods or something? The part numbers and all other cast stamps/marks are the same as the other rims.

Thanks for the information.

Cheers,
    Oliver
    Oliver
    71’ 911T Coupe
    72’ Land Rover Series III 88”
    Early 911S Registry #3663

I see they were all forged aluminum... any ideas as to the weight difference? It doesn’t have many weights for balancing.
    Oliver
    71’ 911T Coupe

Post pictures of the wheel in question and one of the other 3. There should not be a noticeable difference in weight in any Factory Fuchs 15 X 6 Alloy wheel.

Regards

Jim

'72 911T 3,0 liter MFI Albert Blue street/DE toy Jeff Higgins's Avatar
    Really silly question - are the three '71's deep sixes? The '79 would be a flat six, of course.
    "God invented whisky so the Irish wouldn't rule the world."

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Higgins View Post
    Really silly question - are the three '71's deep sixes? The '79 would be a flat six, of course.
    6x16 up front 7x16 in back
    Carl Bauer - OBP
    1979 RoW 911SC
    1969 Subaru 360 - 1969 Winkelmann WDF1 - 2016 KTM RC390

'72 911T 3,0 liter MFI Albert Blue street/DE toy Jeff Higgins's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Bauer View Post
    6x16 up front 7x16 in back
    Not sure what you are saying - that is standard fitment on an SC, of course. Oliver has a miss-matched set of four 15x6's on his '71, with one oddball date coded '79 and heavier than the other three that are date coded '71.
    "God invented whisky so the Irish wouldn't rule the world."

early 71 would be a deep. Late 71 the swtiched to flat i believe.
    What are the date numbers next to the "71"?

your 79sc wheel would not be an ideal match. I would look for a decent match if you are restoring all 4 wheels.

the cnter caps on the 71 wheels would be different diameter then the 79.
    Did you try swapping out all the center caps from the 71 wheels to the 79 wheel?

I cant recall when fuchs switched over center cap size. 1973 or so?
    LOOKING FOR 1967S TRANSMISSION #103586
    Looking For 1969T Engine #6195922
    Looking For 1969T Transmission #7194313

Looking for 1969T Transmission #7195495
    www.tcspeed.com

Flat six wheels changed from 66mm center hole to 70mm in late '73. Probably all (or virtually all) '73 had 3-ear caps.

Deep sixes to flat changeover was around 3/71, IIRC.
    - Arne
    Current - 2018 718 Cayman, Rhodium Silver, PDK

Sold - 1972 911T coupe, Silver Metallic; 1984 911 Carrera coupe, Chiffon white; 1973 914 2.0, Saturn Yellow; 1984 944, Silver Metallic

Thanks for all the responses, guys. I will check the dates when I get home from a business trip.

I remember the code numbers on the 71’ wheels were a relatively high two digit number... must be the week of production? They look like they are flat sixes to me. The only major difference with the third oddball 79’ year code wheel is that it is noticeably heavier and the center cap looks different than the 71’s. Also, it appears the center hub on the 79’ is thicker.

I am going to try to find an earlier wheel and just use the 79’ wheel as the spare.... or find another later flat six and match the pairs with weight... probably put the heavier flat six wheel in the rear.
    Oliver
    71’ 911T Coupe

The oddball wheel may be an imposter,,,ie. an aftermarket repro.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.