Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: D'eser or BF Torino Sheel 300 or Recaro ST seats - SEAT EXPERT HELP NEEDED PLEASE!!

Thank you Recarno. Will try and switch on the PM! Agree would like to go original if possible... Problem is timeline of the build and finding an original seat in time at sensible cost!

Quote Originally Posted by Xavier PJB View Post
    I had both BFT and Deser, there are good repro/quality for us in Europe.
    I would also be very careful with vintage seats using FBG as per their age. I would tend yo agree also on the previous comments about "if you build a ST car then, why do you care about $", but repro seats are still expensive and looks great but cheaper than very nice condition vintage seats.
    I do have a swb, and even if I try to be as much as possible period correct, I will not throw ' digits dollars on vintage seats, I'd rather buy high standard repro seats.

It really depends on your objectives, mindset and $.

Please share pics on your build :-)
    Xavier
    thanks Xavier. Could I ask which you thought better? the BFT or D'eser's? Subjective I know but would be interested in your thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by uai View Post
    A Scheel Replica is quite easy to do fairly correct looking. Recaro repops are always bad as no one seems to be able to replicate the gelcoat surface. For me (I have both originals) it‘s the Recaro. It just fits my butt better apart from being really solid compared to old flimsy Scheel stuff.
    I‘d bite the bullet and go for original Recaro, if that is not an option then replica Scheel would be my choice. Gerrit is no longer active but there are still some of his repops floating around. Perhaps alex still has some (aasink ) here on the forum.
    Thank you Uai. Appreciate your insights here!

I have Scheel 300's and love them. Have no experience with other seats mentioned. I would not try and save money on something as important as seats. Best of luck.
    Karl: E911SR #792 ; RG #420 ; GS #7

'72T Coupe - Sepia Brown

I would find both and sit in them first before buying. Unlike your lounge there will only be this one seat to sit in...!

Personally i would never fit in a Recaro so i opted for original Scheel 300's in my ST build. There still snug but i love them.

Dave

Name:  20200115_130143.jpg
Views: 516
Size:  92.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by karlusmagnus View Post
    I would not try and save money on something as important as seats.
    ^ Good advice. I wish I'd thought that way before I bought a set of "Le Mans" seats. They looked great and seemed good value vs recovering stock 914 seats that had no lateral support. But the new seats weren't nice to sit in after ~20 minutes, and the result was I didn't enjoy driving my car after ~20 minutes. Talk about poor value.

I've met a lot of stock Porsche seats that don't provide enough lateral support, but I've met very few that weren't comfortable to sit in. The opposite could be applied to aftermarket seats.

Quote Originally Posted by stretch View Post
    I would find both and sit in them first before buying. Unlike your lounge there will only be this one seat to sit in...!
    ^ Also good advice, especially if you can try them in a car like yours and/or either drive it or merely sit there reading a book for awhile. Might even be worth a plane ticket, as a seat that seems perfect on a concrete floor might have height/positioning issues once it's in the car.

A Porsche engineer told me modern seats are "cars" themselves. While old seats aren't as complicated, one of the reasons they've become so varied very much applied back in the 1960s and 1970s: They must provide comfort, safety, and connection for a wide variety of people. Their design, therefore, is tricky...and even the best designs may not work for the outliers (whether in body type or demands).

The problem is none of the above really helps the OP (sorry!). There might be some great aftermarket options for your 911—but it may be that no one here can give you the info you need. I'd stay away from "Le Mans" seats based on my experience, and would strongly consider Vintage Seats given the wide praise they seem to earn—or Scheels (I love mine). But, in the end, seats are something of a leap.
    Last edited by stout; 02-21-2020 at 06:08 AM.

hi stout, did you know that recaro (1971) developed extra bucket seats for the 914.

regards
    Name:  914 recaro.jpg
Views: 457
Size:  74.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by recarno View Post
    hi stout, did you know that recaro (1971) developed extra bucket seats for the 914.

regards
    Name:  914 recaro.jpg
Views: 457
Size:  74.1 KB
    I did not! But it makes sense, as Recaro had more than a minor association with the 914 in period. Too cool...and looks like two different setups in there. Is the one on the left 914-specific, or are both? I wonder how many of these got "out there," as I haven't seen them unless the ones I saw were mounted in other cars.

es, the driver and the passenger are different. only the driver's seat was made for 914 (recaro rallye 914 - the name was never officially available) the passenger is a "normal" recaro rallye standard bucket. please pay attention to the headrests, which were made a bit narrower than the normal recaro headrests so that they fit into the standard recesses in the rear paneling. and yes, these seats are quite rare. but you can find them now and then - I have several in my collection, even one in NOS. by the way, the picture is from the Porsche sports engineering guideline from 1971 and i have a letter from 1971 (copy) in which recaro wrote to porsche new car sellers and encouraged them to offer these seats to their customers as an option. The buckets on the 914 never made it into the equipment list of the new cars, for sure the main reason why they are so rare. for sure the main reason why they are so rare.

regards

Quote Originally Posted by stretch View Post

Personally i would never fit in a Recaro so i opted for original Scheel 300's in my ST build. There still snug but i love them.

Dave

Name:  20200115_130143.jpg
Views: 516
Size:  92.6 KB
    Lovely ride!!!!