Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Race and rally gearboxes 901/52 etc

Xavier, Thanks for posting the CoA. I still do not see why they would use a regular 901/05 trans serial for a 901/5x transmission when they had 928xxxx serial transmissions. I would like to see the type # actually stamped on the trans case. I am not saying it is impossible, but I do think a typo is a more reasonable explanation. The Kardex may reveal something different. Not to mention that the Kardex is not infallible. I got one recently where the transmission # was in both engine and transmission boxes. There was another where the paint code was just wrong, and the Reutter book had to be consulted to confirm the correct code.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

Quote Originally Posted by gled49 View Post
    I think the castle nut pinion was probably 904/906. It was not hollow, and it would work in any 901/911 trans. I also built a gearbox with the 8:35 R&P, not in the 911R’s. The 901/51R was a 911R trans but the other 2 we built didn’t have that kind of pinion shaft.
    I think the important thing here is to document these special boxes with photos of the type & serial #'s and the actual gear sets inside. Is there any correlation of the stamped R with the type # and the 8:35 R&P or not. Is there a different correlation? What are the dates on the parts? If the 8:35 R&P was only a factory installed part (not available as a spare part), then how was it ordered.

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    The 8:35 R&P was in a regular trans overhaul. It was a surprise and a 68 trans.

If the 8:35 R&P was used in some cars in the 1960's wouldn't it ave appeared in some homolgation papers somewhere? I have not had a close look at early ones but i do know that it is in Homologation #3053 but in a Gp4 addendum in 1976. My understanding that this was for the 2.2 turbo cars as well as some rally cars. Also it is for the 915 box at that time not the earlier ones. I had an interest in this as I put a 8:35 in my 915 box for the extra strength (my car is 2.7RS except for the E cams and was damaging the 7:31 with the torque) and the only place I could find a reference to the 8:31 at the time was in the attached homologation sheet
    Name:  8 35 Homologation papers.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  72.4 KB
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

Xavier Petit-Jean-Boret Xavier PJB's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by davep View Post
    Xavier, Thanks for posting the CoA. I still do not see why they would use a regular 901/05 trans serial for a 901/5x transmission when they had 928xxxx serial transmissions. I would like to see the type # actually stamped on the trans case. I am not saying it is impossible, but I do think a typo is a more reasonable explanation. The Kardex may reveal something different. Not to mention that the Kardex is not infallible. I got one recently where the transmission # was in both engine and transmission boxes. There was another where the paint code was just wrong, and the Reutter book had to be consulted to confirm the correct code.
    Dave, I was just teasing here - want to bring a little smile/laugh on the board - time/period is too serious.
    O-G 26 - Early911S 2407

Quote Originally Posted by Xavier PJB View Post
    Dave, I was just teasing here - want to bring a little smile/laugh on the board...
    I smiled a little, Xavier, but I was wearing a mask... :-█

Jon B.
    Vista, CA

Smiling here too, Xavier, but I think that it is a bit serious as well. The big question in my mind is: was this a typo, or are we missing some variant that no one understands yet. I do have to laugh at all the little tricks the factory pulled back in the day. A lot of things were done in the spirit of "getting the job done on time", but certainly leaving us scratching our heads decades later.

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    Here is the trans out of #15R, Rennman was selling. All the original R gearboxes I’ve seen had the R stamp. Only one had original gearing. Gears were cheep and available, so they got changed regularly.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Xavier Petit-Jean-Boret Xavier PJB's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by davep View Post
    A lot of things were done in the spirit of "getting the job done on time", but certainly leaving us scratching our heads decades later.
    So true, I really need to drive more than I do (6000 min a year) my swb to get my gearbox tired and in need of a rebuild; then I'll be able to see what is in - the funny thing is that it seems to be the same gear ratios as the Nurburgring set- but until I open it...
    and yes, I beleive this is a typo - as I have 3 COAs for my 911 L and none show the same things....
    O-G 26 - Early911S 2407

Quote Originally Posted by Xavier PJB View Post
    and yes, I believe this is a typo - as I have 3 COAs for my 911 L and none show the same things....
    Well, I would suggest getting the Kardex, and then you would have the definitive answer to what should be on the CoA's. BUT the Kardex is not infallible either..
    Yours is a very late 1968, July production, so maybe they were playing pranks then also.