Thread: What's the value of an original not repro Lackstift

What's the value of an original not repro Lackstift

The Lackstift along with the drivers' manual and the toolkit was something delivered with a new car in 1972/3. There is a tear out in the maintenance manual for the first owner to confirm these accessories were present when handed over by the dealer for the "above cited car"..Usually these perforated pages were removed to mail off that confirmation but sometimes like this examlle pictured they escaped being torn-out and posted-off back in the day.
    Attachment 516145

I know these genuine original Lackstift were pricy before reproductions were done by OBP. Personally not interested in a reproduction no matter how well copied as have original 908 grandprixweiss ones in the unique to Carrera RS colour for model year.

Not sure my spare is for sale but question is what are originals are worth these days unused in box and bag. Also what are tatty chipped one without box worth as think I have another colour beyond the 908 ones.

Probably totally dried out by now, but great to have with your car as part of all of the original equipment with which the car was delivered, and perfect for the concours display. Someone would buy it for 50 dollars on e bay, we have sold a bunch of them for that

Thanks for reply. No intention to use to touch up other than as you say part of the things delivered with the cars when new. So it seems from reply original NOS in box and bag is less then the OBP repros were sold for ? I don't often sell bits and bobs Surprised... isn't it unusual for and original NOS thing to be less than repo of that item?

The repros were so good, and also usable, that they crashed the price of the originals. I kid Eric L. about this. Every time he releases a new AFS reproduction item, the prices of the original parts immediately fall.

1966 911 Coupe - Slate Grey - 304598 - still in restoration!

Member #1616

Quote Originally Posted by LiveFromNY View Post
    The repros were so good, and also usable, that they crashed the price of the originals.
    Thanks J. I appreciate that
    Carl Bauer - OBP
    1979 RoW 911SC
    1969 Subaru 360 - 1969 Winkelmann WDF1 - 2016 KTM RC390

Quote Originally Posted by LiveFromNY View Post
    The repros were so good, and also usable, that they crashed the price of the originals. I kid Eric L. about this. Every time he releases a new AFS reproduction item, the prices of the original parts immediately fall.
    Agree. I use a Carl Bauer repro and its so good and usuable, perfect tool.
    I would say if a OEM is with the original tool kit etc its quite nice to have, but as a single piece, value is difficult to define. RS parts might be more valuable than others but how many owners look for a GrandPrixwhite one..so demand might be lower than for another early. Send it to Ladenburg auction, i guess 150ish Dollar is a good price for a mint one.
    Registry member No.773

Thanks for input. Since posting question and reading replies googled a few sold here. There was quite a range of prices. Not interested in reproductions as have originals no matter how well executed obviously prefer genuine nos (although interesting the reproductions might've affected prices) Don't usually sell bits and bobs anyway so wouldn't bother listing an original spare one fs for fifty bucks.

S
    Last edited by 911MRP; 02-20-2020 at 02:44 PM.

Anytime a quality repro item comes out it crashes the value of the original item, for a couple of reasons.
    1. Most restoration shops will always buy the repro first, not hunt down an original, so that's half your buyers gone.
    2. There is no longer a great need to snatch one up when it hits the market, so the original ones languish.

A couple examples of this in the 356 world are luggage racks and 16" wheels, both were once worth double what they are now. Sometimes as a seller you can spot the trend and unload before the bottom comes out, I have very few 16's, but other times you get caught flat footed and have more of something than you will ever sell, I probably have 20 luggage racks. Oh well, you win some, you lose some.

---Adam
    If you're reading this and you are not yet an Early 911S Registry member, Join Now!
    Early 911S Registry Member 1372
    Check out Unobtanium-Inc.com
    New blog posts all the time!