Thread: Another Gear Ratio Thread - Building a 2.8 - Thoughts for 911/01

Another Gear Ratio Thread - Building a 2.8 - Thoughts for 911/01

Hey there - doing a bunch of reading, motor ready to start assembly soon. It's a 2.8 full MOTEC EFI, dual coil on plug, ITB, TI rods, pauter rockers, xtreme heads, lots of modern bits inside, yadda yadda ... Lets call it 250 crank with 7500rpm redline/shift point. Cams not crazy aggressive, so torque should be usable about 4000-4500ish... Will be lively for sure... :-)

Anyway, car has a 911/01, i believe all ratios are stock, it's pretty fresh build, shifts super nice, has a billet center carrier. The trans is going out for a look-see and a billet side plate and LSD, and well, you know about those slippery slopes.

So I believe the stock 911/01 from 71 has:
    A
    GA
    O
    V
    ZA

USE: mostly canyons, some highway driving, don't want a crazy short box like airport gears. Occasional rally, likely no track (have 2 others for that!), AX once in a while.

Saw this as a suggestion:

AA
    GA
    M
    S
    X

I don't want it too buzzy on highway, so a longer 5th is OK, but would like to tighten up 2-4 a bit...

AA, GA, M, S, X

that’s what I have in my 69S with a modified 2.4S and I would highly recommend it!
    '67 911S
    '69 911S
    '70 911ST
    '73 911T Targa Signal Yellow
    '78 911SC backdate EFI 3.4 turbo
    '11 Spyder
    Early S#1097, R-gruppe #

How much of a difference do you notice between the A and the AA first?
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

It’s certainly noticeable in a good way. You need a motor with a little more torque to help get you going, especially on an incline but it feels very natural. The transition between 1-2-3 is sublime!
    '67 911S
    '69 911S
    '70 911ST
    '73 911T Targa Signal Yellow
    '78 911SC backdate EFI 3.4 turbo
    '11 Spyder
    Early S#1097, R-gruppe #

I plotted out the shift points and drops and the suggestion you have Endo looks pretty nice. What I don't like about current gearing: 1-2 drop, 2-3 is ok, 3-4 drop. I don't mind cruising at 3500. Of course that is with a 6400 rpm or whatever redline with a CIS 2.7 with webers. GOOD torque low but gutless after 5 or so, but sounds nice! So I wind it out often.

This new engine, it will be a totally different beast. And likely more than 250 crank. I'm thinking, may need to get the plots on the engine dyno first ... i'd like to keep shifts in the meat of the torque curve.... without being TOO buzzy.

Appreciate any thoughts... again not a track car, and I do cruise PCH in addition to lots of canyons. You know, the ones you see on all the youtube videos in SoCal.