Thread: Oil overfill question

Oil overfill question

I did a dumb thing and overfilled my oil in my '68 911T (didn't have the car hit enough before checking fill level--a mistake I'll never make again). In trying to siphon the excess oil out, I inserted the hose and pump but just get air even though the pump hose is coming out covered in oil.

Am I missing something? Is there more than one place the siphon pump hose can go when inserted into the oil filler? How can the dipstick--which is only about a foot long--come out with oil while the pump hose can go in three feet and suck air the whole time?

Thanks in advance for your help!
    1968 Porsche 911T

Just undo the drain plug.
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by duesey View Post
    I did a dumb thing and overfilled my oil in my '68 911T (didn't have the car hit enough before checking fill level--a mistake I'll never make again). In trying to siphon the excess oil out, I inserted the hose and pump but just get air even though the pump hose is coming out covered in oil.

Am I missing something? Is there more than one place the siphon pump hose can go when inserted into the oil filler? How can the dipstick--which is only about a foot long--come out with oil while the pump hose can go in three feet and suck air the whole time?

Thanks in advance for your help!
    I think there is a mesh screen inside the tank that catches the oil froth so the oil may be below this level and the mesh may be stopping your hose from reaching the oil. Agree with the above, just remove the sump plug.

I’d suggest draining the system and starting over. Oil is cheap. You should be precise when it comes to how much oil is in your system. A spun bearing will cost a lot more.
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Like suggested above....I have taken out excess oil for a customer (or oil changer shop) from over filling many times. I wait until it is cool and loosen the drain plug enough to control the flow. I usually take out 2 Qts or so. Then start up and check. I am usually pretty close the first time...If not, I repeat the process. HTH

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Weidman View Post
    Like suggested above....I have taken out excess oil for a customer (or oil changer shop) from over filling many times. I wait until it is cool and loosen the drain plug enough to control the flow. I usually take out 2 Qts or so. Then start up and check. I am usually pretty close the first time...If not, I repeat the process. HTH
    This:^^^
    Did the similar thing with a sewer clean out a few weeks ago. This is more fun.
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111