Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question RE Proper Fasteners for the metal threshold

Richy is correct, as I have learned so painfully. I already knew from my 356A that Porsche's build records were not always very good, but this one is even more difficult.

Since the car is #0001, it has MANY features that were left over from '67, and in several cases, #0001 was the LAST one to have certain equipment from '67, or otherwise was the FIRST one to have '68 features. In this case, it seems more likely that any changes would have been biased in favor of '67, rather than '69.

To make it more complicated, this car was built with a number of upgrade options, including the air blower, fuchs, wood steering wheel and others.

I'm just working really hard to get the details right, and I REALLY appreciate the participation of guys that i respect so much. Please continue to feel free to add to the discussion. (i'm sure there will be more.)

Seems to me that if you look at the hole in the body, you should be able to tell if it was a screw that went into the hole or a rivet. A screw would leave an unmistakable threaded hole, whereas a rivet would leave an undisturbed straight hole. My '69 has two aluminum skirts on the bottom of the door, one on the outside of the door seal, and one on the inside. Outside one held on with plastic rivets, and the thinner inside one held on with screws. Looking at the inside one, you can tell by the hole that a screw has gone in there.
    Bob B

Bob,

all of those things wold be true, except the outer rockers were replaced (and new ones don't come with holes).

it's all good. in the course of this discussion, we actually bounced a dozen or so ideas around, until we found the sequence that made the most sense.

i am only beginning to learn the massive array of variables that accompany investigations into minutia, which is why the discussion amongst like-minded folks is so valuable.

What are the opinions of official Porsche concours judges on this question? It would seem they would be the ultimate arbiters of this question for your particular car, regardless of what the parts book might or might not reveal.

Jim,

good suggestion ... except i don't know any of those guys, and have no interest in subjecting my work to their scrutiny. no offense intended. it's just my approach, after watching too many arguments at car shows. (i watched one poor soul actually show the judge the reference in the book that referred specifically to his car, and the judge refused to accept it.) not that all judges are that way. i just want to get to the point where i can enjoy my car without having someone try to find flaws.

but i did consult with a number of the 'originality gurus' and it appears that there is consensus that screws were used for this application in '67/'68.

but thanks. your idea was good.

Reviving an old thread to find out if anyone has a source for correct plastic rivets for 69 and later 911/912 metal threshold plates…

Those sold by the usual sources are the smaller 914 rivets

There must be a source for the correct ones…

I have one example & can take measurements.
    techweenie.com

My parts fetcher: 2016 Tesla S | Currently building: 73 RSR tribute and 69 RS tribute