Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Seat minutia, distinct "line" in seat backs

Seat minutia, distinct "line" in seat backs

Over the years looking at original seats a distinct detail has stood out for me. When looking at the backrest of original seats a distinct horizontal line running the complete width of the seat can be seen. It runs about 4-5"from the top of the backrest. The same line can also be seen with 356 seats. As far as I know there is no element in the frame that would push through etc. to form this line. Anybody have any idea what would have cause it?

Another thing I have noticed is that the part of the backrest above the line sometimes is more "bulbulous" when looking at the side profile

Attached pictures of a friends unrestored seat in his '65, a '67 seat and a seat in a unrestored 356 T5 B coupe
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Nobody else has noticed this?

Quote Originally Posted by 718RSK View Post
    Nobody else has noticed this?
    If it helps I have never noticed it but also never paid attention to it.

I guess Autos, Tony or Thomas can tell you?

Richard
    searching for engine (case) 903742

Richard,

I am curious to hear from people who have original seats to see if this really was on all seats or just on some. Its one of those details that is very easy to miss unless you look for it.

Original seat

I had an early 65 912 which had original seats. I don't see a distinctive line on the back, but the photo is not the greatest.

David
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I can say, for many years, that about 5 inches down, on that same line, on the back, the seat vinyl or leather was glued to the burlap inside. Almost all have pulled away.

This makes a large lump around that foam pad... Then it pulls it in, and is glued.
    I think the line talked about is directly related to the glue spot.

I have original unrestored never disassembled leather 1963 356 cab seats. They have a fold line or pressure crease in that area.

Name:  F735E862-4D31-4C75-9DDB-BADFD25FB78A.jpg
Views: 578
Size:  88.5 KB

Leather 911 1971 seat below. Which was glued. Trying to show the bump.
    I think the back of the seat is padded. So a head impact from a rear seat passenger is softer.
    And the reason the seat is pulled in and glued... Is so that there is more leg/knee room for the back seat passenger... Of which I was often.

Modern seats have a concave shape on the back... To give that knee room.Name:  2367AC11-C0A0-4580-BA4A-18B4FF188272.jpg
Views: 629
Size:  69.4 KB
    Last edited by Scott A; 02-11-2022 at 07:35 PM.

Current long term ownership: 63 Cab, 71 911, 74 914

yep scott is correct
    glued to the burlap
    but i think they stopped doing it in the 70's cars

Scott,

Thank you so much for your reply. Very insightful! The line was probably left by whatever jig they used to glue it in. Now the challenge is how to recreate this. Attached a period picture a friend sent me of a 356 seat which clearly shows the lump. As far as I know none of the shops out there reproduce this detail on their interiorsName:  HNE 2091.jpg
Views: 586
Size:  85.7 KB

The glued area is evident in this 356 seat but, I agree, the line appears to have been pressed in by a jig or other device.
    Name:  20200421_143449.jpg
Views: 569
Size:  102.7 KB

...and the line can be faintly seen in the original vinyl cover.
    Name:  20200501_123738.jpg
Views: 592
Size:  48.0 KB