Page 28 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1826272829 LastLast

Thread: The Bob Joyce thread!: Restoration of a 1968 911 L Targa

One thing that I had never done before was to pull the mirror of off the goose neck.
    Warmed the mirror back with a heat gun and pulled it apart.
    Kind of like separating a drumstick from a chicken...........
    Then plugged the goose neck into a good mirror......
    Hung the sun[visors while I was at it..........
    Name:  DSCN1791[1].jpg
Views: 263
Size:  82.2 KBvisors

bob - tell us more about what your “good mirror” is ..
    (I can’t quite see from the pic)

hi tech …?
    Paul

1969 ex-South African RHD Tangerine 911T . 1970 ex-Southern Californian LHD Conda 911T 1955 Series 1 86" Land Rover (original Australian CKD … very slowly re-building) 1987 W124 230e
    (long term paid up member)

Bob Following the thread. Went back over it and a few of your prior entries. How did you make your sun visors look so good? Beautiful work so far.

ok... to begin
    dont beileve what you hear
    beileve what you verifiy
    The first picture is of a mirror that i took off of a 1970 era car 40 or more years ago
    it is accompanied by the 1970 era window mounted stock.
    The second picture shows (installed in the car) the Stock that I bought on Ebay off of a 220 Mercedes snaped into the 1970 era mirror.
    The third picture shows the mirrors location relative to visors.
    In conclusion..... If you shop for a 1968 mirror you can find parts on Mercedies search. It has been suggested that other car makes as well, but I have only verified what I have.
    Jim B was kind enough to loan me a Porsche stalk. I compared it to the 220 Mercedese stalk and it was exact.
    The pebble texture of the 1970 Porsche era plastic mirror itself is a match for the 1968 mirror.
    SO..... You have to hunt down the parts. Mercedes produced many variations of the mirror, and your job would be to find the correct pieces to match your 1968 mirror.
    Name:  DSCN1794[1].jpg
Views: 235
Size:  34.9 KB
    Name:  DSCN1792[1].jpg
Views: 234
Size:  91.2 KB
    Name:  DSCN1793[1].jpg
Views: 231
Size:  63.5 KB

Never mind Bob. Looks like you are using quality repops. On the '67 Targa the profile of the mirror is 90 degrees as it surrounds the mirror. Not angular like yours. Nobody makes the repop because its such a limited market.

The door handles going on for the final time..............

Name:  DSCN1796[1].jpg
Views: 172
Size:  30.3 KB

Name:  DSCN1795[1].jpg
Views: 170
Size:  29.6 KB

Bob, I'm going to hijack your thread b/c I can't seem to figure out how to send you pics via dm. Here is my A-pillar...I used 1/4" foam and not 1/2". But it worked great and I'm happy with the outcome. The tape is for the seal that I glued in place. Front part is done.

Name:  IMG_0397.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  156.2 KB

The targa bar trim is where I'm having trouble. I'm converting to SWT too, but I want to focus on front side since I think that is consistent on both fixed window and SWT.

Name:  IMG_0401.jpg
Size:  190.5 KB

It looked like the pics you posted on 2/1 show the underside trim piece in place...and then you removed it and installed a trim piece that goes along the front side of the targa bar?

Name:  DSCN1752.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  81.9 KB

I just can't tell what you did here. I know the underside piece is covered in vinyl (b/c I took the vinyl off). I know front targa bar seal goes above the vinyl here and it's glued in.

Name:  911 Body Interior Targa Roof.gif
Size:  25.3 KB

There are 2 parts (#5 in the drawing) that seem to match the front trim piece part you installed, but they weren't included with my car when I bought it in pieces. Plus, the part you put in looks like one big trim piece...and not 2 separate pieces. Can you explain a little more about the targa bar trim? I might be missing parts...

On page 25 post #244
    The #5 parts are glued in place then covered
    these pieces are formed so you will be best of if you find some used ones. they would be trick to fabricate.
    They get installed and covered before Part #1 that gets covered out of the car and then installed.
    I have not covered or installed part #1 yet. The picture is dark and black paint is what you might see.
    Also, it is best not to glue in any of the channel weatherstrips until the doors and all other hardware are fitted.
    That way you close the doors on the weatherstrips to set them in place and leave the door closed for a week or so.............

Ok, thx Bob. It seems that part# (90156551340 or 90156551342, need 2 ea) has been superseded by 91156551340 for the driver side and 91156551440 for the passenger side. These parts are for a 1974+ targa but that's what I'll have to try. It looks like you glued each piece into the channel just below the lip and then the vinyl attaches to the car metal on the backside of top lip and swings around to the back side of the trim piece...where you glue it to the underside targa metal again? I can't tell.

Thanks for the tip on the weatherseal installation. I'm flying blind over here since I've never done this type work before. I had no idea what the front A-pillar was supposed to look like until I saw your pics...I'm just happy that mine looks presentable.

here is a better picture
    you glue the pieces onto the car, then you cover the bolster, wrapping it around and glueing it to the back.
    Remember..... Behind this is the targa pad that gets covered off the car and then installed (see the prongs that hook onto the pad in the picture)
    Because you are going soft rear window, there is a part# for soft rear window (90156551342) I do not know why it is different from hard rear window, but I know the Targa pad is different because it has provisions for the top latches. Perhaps you can contact Targa Dan/Cars Inc. he does these cars and wouldName:  DSCN1801[1].jpg
Views: 81
Size:  103.1 KB not only have the correct info ,but also can probably buy from him the pieces you need.