Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Behr 2.8 RSR Oil Cooler

Quote Originally Posted by JKH View Post
    Here you go..
    Perfect,thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by JKH View Post
    Here you go..
    That's a massive help Jeff, thank you for your assistance

By way of an update; the original cooler has been scanned and modelled with drawings commissioned and it's hoped that production of the end tank castings will commence soon. It will still be some months before there's anything to show but Paul and I are committed to the project and these will be available in the coming months.

Cheers,

Hi Darren,
    I'm still very much interested in this oil cooler. Are you still progressing with the production of it and is there any update to the timeline?
    Member #3508
    1973 911 2.4T
    1976 911S -> 2.8RSR replica
    "if nothing goes right, go left!"

Quote Originally Posted by patrick911 View Post
    Hi Darren,
    I'm still very much interested in this oil cooler. Are you still progressing with the production of it and is there any update to the timeline?
    Hi Patrick,

I'm afraid we hit a brick wall trying to source a suitable core for the project which has led to a major delay. The company that fabricated the 3.0 coolers have been taken over by a larger international group and I'm in contact with them although the process is somewhat slower than before although I expect an update in the next couple of weeks.

There's also one other US based option I've been pointed too which I'm following up.

With everything that's been done modelling the original and with all the interest shown it be would a shame to give on the project although they need to be right, as good as the 3.0 coolers that were fabricated and at a feasible price point. Fingers crossed it'll happen.

We'll do our best and I'll update here in the coming weeks.

Cheers,

Thanks mate - much appreciate the update and the effort you're putting in.
    Member #3508
    1973 911 2.4T
    1976 911S -> 2.8RSR replica
    "if nothing goes right, go left!"

Hi Darren, if you’re still thinking this will happen, I’m definitely interested in one.

Thanks,
    Rick

It's been a long time...

Well it has been a while but it now looks like we have some progress to finally get this project moving

The scans required for casting the end tanks were completed some time ago.....

Core...

....however the big, BIG, issue was sourcing the core and great effort was made by Paul Howells to find one that was as close to the original bar and plate core as possible. Although visually this was a major consideration on the flip side it was about finding a core that was high quality, light, as efficient (if not more so) than the original, one that enabled the cooler to be fabricated to the exact dimensions of the original cooler and also at a price point that made the whole project viable....

....and the good news is we now we have a sample .....

....this is tube and fin, as per the core on the 3.0 coolers I had fabricated, with the same 10 rows as per the original coolers and ultimately it meets all of the criteria mentioned above....

...this pic gives you an idea of the difference in dimensions of the 2.8 and 3.0 coolers....

....final details are in the process of being sent to get castings underway with a lead time of 2-3 months then we'll be onto machining and final fabrication which will be undertaken by Concept Racing.

All being well we should be able to offer super authentic 2.8 RSR and 914/6 oil coolers that are to the exact original dimensions and quality, fully functioning motorsport items by the middle of 2024.

Cheers,
    Last edited by Darren65; 12-16-2023 at 03:19 AM.

Top job Darren!
    Great attention to detail.
    Nick

Outstanding Darren!!!
    first ride - 10 yrs old in a 73 911S - Silver - I was done for
    Started 'playing' with them in the late 80s
    Started racing a 72 911 T built to 2.9L RSR in SoCal SCCA, PCA, POC early 90s
    Have owned over 50 long hoods from late 80s until 2000
    dropped out from 2000 - 2018 - due to life, work, travel
    Been building a 2.8 'RSR' inspired car since 2018 - 9111121235
    http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...1121235-a.html