Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steering Wheel Restoration

Steering Wheel Restoration

From the book, Porsche Questions From a Dummy, how do I know if this is a steel or Aluminum spoked steering wheel? It does not attract magnets. And, who would be the best person to restore this wheel?

Thanks in advance for any help, much appreciated!

J

That is an aluminum wheel, you can se the aluminum between the layers of wood.

Regards
    Jesse
    Porsche 935 DP1 Zirkelbach
    930/10
    Resale red

Porsche 911, 1971
    2.5L on Webers
    Silvermetallic

It looks like a raised hub wheel?
    It also looks like it has been repaired? In that case Bruce Crawford might not restore it (he prefers the alu spokes to have their original coating without cracks).

Out of curiosity. Does it have a 1-4 digit number?
    Richard
    searching for engine (case) 903742

the curiosity for the digits on the wheel is on my site.

Nevertheless you might want to ask Bruce, if he wants to do it....
    http://hardwoodclassicsltd.com

He is a real magician ...

br
    59 750 pre unit triton
    63 650 gray silver bikinitub triumph thunderbird
    70 650 astralred silver triumph bonneville
    65 912 slate gray "erwin"
    73 914 ravennagreen "ferdl"
    erwin_loves_polo

Thank you guys for the help. I don't believe it's ever been repaired before, as it is the original wheel to my car which has been in the family since 1976. The wood is in remarkably good shape, just has those darn cracked spokes.

And yes, it does have a four digit number (2141).

J

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan911 View Post
    Thank you guys for the help. I don't believe it's ever been repaired before, as it is the original wheel to my car which has been in the family since 1976. The wood is in remarkably good shape, just has those darn cracked spokes.

And yes, it does have a four digit number (2141).

J
    What apparently is a crack I thought to be a repaired crack. So in this case it will need to be repaired.

Is it a raised hub? Can you post a picture of the side or rear?

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by preS View Post
    What apparently is a crack I thought to be a repaired crack. So in this case it will need to be repaired.

Is it a raised hub? Can you post a picture of the side or rear?

Richard
    I am not sure about being a raised hub, here's another picture.

J

That 1” thick puck at the back “raises” the wheel towards the driver.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by preS View Post
    That 1” thick puck at the back “raises” the wheel towards the driver.

Richard
    So this is a raised hub wheel? How did the factory decide which car's got the raised hubs versus the standard steering wheel?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan911 View Post
    So this is a raised hub wheel? How did the factory decide which car's got the raised hubs versus the standard steering wheel?

Thanks!
    At the buyer’s order.

Richard