Thread: Aftermarket gears v. Stock

Aftermarket gears v. Stock

I’m looking into rebuilding my 915 trans and want to change gears 2 through 4 to make the ratio closer and leave 5th as overdrive. I will mostly drive on back roads but may do a few track events each year.

I noticed the GT Guard and Albins gears are more readily available than Porsche gears and heard they last longer but are a bit noisier.

Has anybody used GT gears or Albins gears on the street and are they noticeably more noisy or does engine drown that noise off? Also, unrelated but do the new gears typically come with new dog teeth or does that get installed afterwards?

They are louder for sure but so worth it! After a while you don't really notice the noise as much. Comes with the dog teeth but with the Albins they kept slipping out of gear so we had to put a factory dog tooth gears on all of them. That really sucked and had to re do the transmission twice. This was a G50. I assume Albins has fixed this by now.
    72S, 72T now ST

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    915 gears come with shift hubs (dog teeth)

Thanks. That information is very helpful. I’m putting in a later 915 in my 72 which has tall gearing which is the reason for shortening it up. I wasn’t aware of the previous issues with Albins gears but was leaning towards GT Guard if not too noisy. Sounds like it will be ok.

BTW - there is a new vendor that will be supplying gears and billet mainshafts called nopoliticsracing based out of Auburn, CA. Paul Gaurd’s nephew Brian is managing it and one of the owners and they will be selling 915 gears as soon as next month. They also sell LSDs that look like the GT Guard units. If they start selling gears it will be good to have another option.

Thanks for this new info .....
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter