Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1971 911 Dashboard differences

1971 911 Dashboard differences

The original dash from my 1971 911 has four equally spaced mounting studs that go thru the dash on the drivers side. My replacement dad only has 3 studs, and the one in the far right closest to the passenger door down not line up with that last hole. Was there a dash change somewhere in the ‘69 - ‘73 range?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by CheckBookChuck; 11-18-2022 at 11:27 AM.

Driver's side ? that sure seems like the passenger side to me . So it's a replacement dash , this is why original NOS dashs are really expensive .

Sorry, passenger side. Both dash’s are original Porsche. The first photo is my original cracked dash. Replacement dash came out of a donor car of an unknown year. The second photo was included only to show the different stud spacing/location and is not the replacement dash. Replacement dash is also original Porsche.

You'll note the new one is also missing the push in plastic piece in the passenger side corner
    Clyde Boyer

1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed
    1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed my first ever 911 (1995)

Early S Registry Member #294
    First Aussie R Gruppe Member #366
    TYP 901 Register Inc #6

Clyde,

Thanks for the observation

The stock photo is from Stoddard’s site and is not my dash. It was included only to show the difference between my old dash (top photo) and what my replacement dash (OEM Porsche from a donor car) looks like.

This is still a mystery, as no one has responded to why they are different!

Why is this a mystery ? Replacement dashes have never been the same . They are manufactured by a subcontractor , different years , sometimes different manufacturers .

You would think no matter who is contracted to make them they could at least match an original in design!!

They have now at least got the speaker grille looking correct with a rectangular hole pattern
    Clyde Boyer

1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed
    1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed my first ever 911 (1995)

Early S Registry Member #294
    First Aussie R Gruppe Member #366
    TYP 901 Register Inc #6

Quote Originally Posted by Richy View Post
    Why is this a mystery ? Replacement dashes have never been the same . They are manufactured by a subcontractor , different years , sometimes different manufacturers .
    This is NOT a replacement dash. The dash I installed is an original used dash removed from an early 911 of an unknown year.

BOTH dashes were original equipment factory installed removed from two different cars. The only difference is the location of the last mounting stud nearest the passenger door!!

The repair shop bought a LWB door that doesn’t quite fit my friends LWB. It’s a few mm off. It works,
    But not as well as What came with the car.

I suggest you look for a 71 dash or refurbish your existing one and get your checkbook out, Chuck.
    James Hurst #1638
    R Gruppe #514
    911T with 2.2S Ps and Cs, Solex grind Cams and PMO 40mm

The replacement has only tree studs on there passenger side, cause the manufacturer uses the same form for the later dashes with the air vent, where the forth stud is at the earlier dashes.