Thread: One rare & unique "momo" (pre-momo Monza)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

One rare & unique "momo" (pre-momo Monza)

Getting some input from all the momo experts out there. I'm not on here often but I recognize the wealth of knowledge that exists on the forum. I'm an active member admin over at e9coupe.com and longtime forum user. There is just no better place to be when it comes to sourcing info. Have you ever seen anything like this before? I was debating what to do with it but I fear it is completely irreplaceable.

Some early posts by Mark Morrissey were instrumental in helping me identify and date my pre-momo wheel. Mark described his as "the rarest momo on the planet" if I recall correctly. That wheel was silver and I think he may have later picked up a black one. I also saw that Patipatina described his 1964 pre-momo as "the holy grail of all momos". Not sure where this one fits in.

Pictures are of my 380mm pre-Momo Monza wheel. It has the earliest known "Hand Made In Italy" engraving, and and 12707 patent code. It was most likely produced in 1964, prior to Momo's 1966 incorporation. Very few black wheels like this are around, and I have never in my life seen a pre-momo, or even stacked momo with original cardinal red leather. I can only assume that it was a one-off custom Moretti creation for a Porsche or Ferrari owner. Whoever owned it certainly pampered their car. Save for some patina/dirt at 10 & 2, the Monza is damn near NOS!

Name:  IMG_7356.jpg
Views: 699
Size:  157.0 KB

Name:  IMG_7363.jpg
Views: 673
Size:  149.8 KB
    Name:  IMG_7357.jpg
Views: 645
Size:  105.2 KB

Name:  IMG_7359.jpg
Views: 652
Size:  97.8 KB

Name:  IMG_7360.jpg
Views: 645
Size:  97.5 KB

Name:  IMG_7358.jpg
Views: 661
Size:  103.7 KB

Name:  69827462195__E52D3712-F0F8-4DD3-B0FD-33186E91FC5B.jpg
Views: 650
Size:  62.6 KB
    Last edited by Markos; 02-16-2023 at 10:21 PM.