I've never obsessed over the value of our cars. But after spending 20 years working as a stockbroker I have an ingrained interest in macro-economics. And with Audette Collection I have a dog in the hunt with longhood parts and restorations.

It looks like there may be some symptoms of a weakening market. Here are some of the things that I have noticed:

Micro
  • Exceptional cars seem to be holding strongly while lesser cars seem to be softening in price.
  • There are scads of small parts for sale, many more than normal it seems, as if folks are cleaning out their closets and drawers. Perhaps thinking about a future sale of their car?
  • Many individual parts have had large decreases in their asking prices, especially esoteria.
  • Current owners are getting a bit older. The somewhat younger folks seem to often prefer G-Series cars and 964's. And the much younger folks seem to like the glam.
  • The euphoria over longhoods seen at the top simply could not last.

Name:  boom bust.jpeg
Views: 1734
Size:  43.0 KB

I know we've all seen this chart way too many times, but it's just damn spot-on. I think things are around Unease for those who care about the value of their cars(s).

Macro
  • Everybody and their Cousin Bubba is predicting a severe recession later this year, which of course would impact all asset prices.
  • Interest rates have gone up making interest bearing assets more competitive with non-cash flow investments such as cars.
  • There's a growing interest in the fuching electric cars.

I'm very interested in your observations and thoughts. Maybe it's a good time for me to retire (for the fourth time).

Cheers,
John

P.S. I hate the monetization of *everything* in our culture but unfortunately I have to pay attention to this one because of my business. There are decisions to made about what level of inventory to maintain, setting prices, determining trade-in value, etc. The Porsche longhood community has a lot of collective knowledge when it comes to business (a lot of winners here) and, as I said, I highly value your input.