I bought my ‘66 911 5 years ago. I love the car. I love the engine. I love everything about it. (It’s “real”). I’ve put 35k miles on it, so I drive…alot. But, I have a problem. I want a long hood LWB car and I’ve never driven one. Maybe some people can weigh in on the different experience (feel) of driving the two? (Subtleties and non-subtleties). Specifically, I’m thinking of a 1970 or 1971S.

I thought about buying an 87-89 Carrera. However, long ago in another life I owned 2. My thinking is an air cooled Carrera would now be to sterile. Too “isolating” (if that makes sense). I’ve also owned a 75 impact bumper (my first Porsche).

How would a ‘71S compare to my “66”? Obviously, it will be faster. Corner better, etc…just a more “advanced” automobile. But, I do not want to lose the mechanical feel of my “66. Is the feel of a 70-71S closer to my ‘66 or is it closer to an early 2.7?

(TBH, my ‘66 feels as fast as my early impact bumper car did).

Where on the scale do these Esse’s fall between a SWB and an early impact bumper? Closer to the “66 or closer to the ‘74?

There is a visceral feel to my ‘66 that’s been somewhat designed out of the ‘74’s. I don’t want to lose that. Will a long hood S keep that feel? Are they closer to a ‘74?

I have never driven an S. It seems like I’ve never driven most of my 911’s in my life, until I buy it. That’s why I’m asking. A 911S is no longer an inexpensive car. I don’t wanna buy one if every time I go somewhere (to the store or cross country) I reach for the keys to my ‘66.

Just how refined is an S compared to a SWB or an early 2.7 car?

David