Thread: 72 911 tire rotation

72 911 tire rotation

What is the best tire rotation? front to back or X patteran. 185/70-15

My understanding is move rear to front same side, move front to back in X pattern...

https://www.michelinman.com/auto/aut...o-rotate-tires
    - 1969 911T Ossi Blue #3981

member #1515
    I have never rotated radial tires except front to rear on same side. I was told the sidewalls take a set and should bot change sides. Old folks tale?
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

Directional tyres = same side only
    Mark

I remember this caution, to stay same side only. But over the years Ive given a lot of thought about this. Porsches in particular, put a lot of stress on sidewalls. Think about it, hard accel, then hard stop. Hard cornering obviously in both directions, that work/flex both inside and outside sidewalls. Other than tires with a directional pattern to the tread, I cant see a concern. My testing on numerous vehicles seems to support my thoughts. I regularly measure depth of tread and analyze rounding of front tire outside corners and then put them on the car on whatever corner makes the most sense to balance wear. I start with the assumption that rear tires on a rear wheel drive car wear out soonest, that right side tires (in the US) wear faster than the left due to crown in the road, and front tires wear fast than rear on the outside corner from turning. This is also why when I can, I go same size tire on all four corners so I can rotate with max options.
    Id be curious if any others out there can definitively point a finger to a tire failure from remounting on the opposite side of the car.