Thread: 1,102 smiles and a Z-car

1,102 smiles and a Z-car

We had to make a quick run to Boise last weekend. And because it was such a beautiful loop, I thought I would throw a trip report together.

After some continual prodding about picking up something to enjoy these beautiful Idaho back country roads, my good friend Don settled on a well sorted 1973 240z. He spent quite a bit of time figuring out "what" he wanted, then he had to find the one. I think he did pretty well. So Friday after slipping out of the office a bit early we hit the road from Coeur d'Alene on our way to Boise. The plan was to hop in my 911 (Frisco) Friday after work, get mostly to Boise, and slip in Saturday morning for the pick up. Followed by a stop off at the airport to grab the wives for the beautiful trip home.

Name:  1 Route j.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  191.5 KB
    Here's our planned loop.

We pretty much shot straight down US-95 with the goal of landing in McCall for the night. First the Lewison grade, and then Whitebird pass. Two great openers to our chosen route that has a total of 7 mountain passes. As we ran out of daylight, we pulled into the Hartland Inn in New Meadows instead of going all the way into McCall. This actually saved us a little backtracking the next morning. Pizza and beers across the street at Miss Kitty's Pizza was amazing. Over dinner we also learned this was the one year anniversary of the double murder of the owners of the Hartland Inn. (Crazy story if you want to google that.) I snuggled Frisco in tight to keep an eye on him and we hit the rack.

Name:  HL Frisco.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  133.8 KB
    Name:  lookout.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  61.0 KB

This was much like Christmas morning for Don, so we were up and out the door by 5:00am Slow picking down the grade into Glendale and Council as the animals were on the move. Rolled through Weiser and Fruitland before jumping on the dreaded I-84 heading to Nampa for the 8:00 pickup time. The only good thing about driving on the interstate is the speed limit. You can cover some ground.

Name:  sunrise.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  62.0 KB

I have to say there are so many joys of driving and old 911, but how it drives at speed is certainly one of them. The fact that a 54 year old car, rolling at 90, at 4000rpms, drives so straight, so tight and so comfortably, just makes me smile. My hand on my knee, with one finger on the wheel for some reason just blows my mind.

We made it to Nampa and spent 30-45 mins going over Don's new z. After some general 240z and 911 conversations we headed straight to the airport to pickup the wives. Not sure if we could have planned it much closer as we only waited about 4 mins in the cell lot before we got the call. Quick pickup then downtown for a nice lunch.

Name:  240z.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  134.6 KB
    Name:  curbside pickup.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  105.4 KB
    Name:  backside capital.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  119.9 KB
    Name:  backside 911.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  87.1 KB
    Name:  happy wives.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  155.9 KB

1 of 2
    Bill
    —————
    1969 911T

2 of 2

Back to I-84 before hopping onto HW-20 at Mountain Home. The road from MH to Ketchum was beautiful. Some great twisty turnys out of Dixie before almost a straight shot to Ketchum. Spent the afternoon strolling through downtown Ketchum with a visit to the Warfield Distillery and then onto Sun Valley where we spotted a beautiful 928 at the lodge.

Name:  roof.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  88.5 KB
    Name:  928.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  167.8 KB

We also learned that the "Trailing of the Sheep Festival" was going on this weekend which is were all the sheep herders drive there sheep down HW-75 through town out of there summer grazing area. https://trailingofthesheep.org/ With this in mind, we hit the road early to get up and over Galena Pass. This stretch of road all the way to Challis was the peak beauty of the route. Bright blue skies with the lightly snow dusted Sawtooth mountains jetting out of all the Fall colors, while ripping up and over a high mountain pass. Smiling and slightly giggling as we danced through gears. We were in a happy place. Mile after mile I could tell Don was getting happier and happier with his newly found steed.

Name:  galena pass.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  131.7 KB
    Name:  Sawtooth.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  136.8 KB

Coming off of Galena Pass the small river beside us was the headwaters of the Salmon River. Any white water guys out there that know the significance of this river to Idaho and the rafting community will understand the beauty of the next 180 miles of road alongside of it. Some great history right there.

Into Stanley and onto Challis for a stop at the Village Inn for lunch before a couple of riverside leg stretches south of Salmon and just downriver of North Fork. Somehow we hit the weather just perfect. Mid 70s where it's totally comfortable with the windows either up or down. Perfect driving temps.

Name:  look up at HS.jpg
Size:  227.2 KB
    Name:  Village Inn.jpg
Size:  154.5 KB
    Name:  roadside.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  210.0 KB
    Name:  roadside2.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  109.7 KB
    Name:  roadside3.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  129.3 KB

Onto Lost Trail Pass and into Montana. Lost Trail has a great mix of hairpins and long pulls. Mostly four lane and lacking of other traffic. A wonderful combinations.. Now onto Missoula and Interstate 90 before heading back west. Halfway up Lookout Pass we pull into Saltese for dinner. We finished up dinner as well as the rest of Lookout pass. Up and over Fourth of July Pass and home by 8:00. Not a bad way to spend the weekend, that's for sure. Don's closing comments sums it up well. "Pretty good opener for my first few miles with my Z-car". Agreed! More of that to come my friend.

Name:  Rolling.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  75.4 KB

Facts:
    -1,102 miles
    -7 mtn passes
    -1 bump start
    -0 mechanicals
    -a dozen thumbs up and countless high-fives
    Bill
    —————
    1969 911T

Great drive. Looks like a blast. If you ever want to make a shorter loop, I'd encourage you to take 12 from Lolo across. And stop in and say hello if you pass through Missoula.
    '66 912 with a 2.2
    '62 Lotus Seven S2
    '66 Lotus Elan
    '63 Karmann Ghia convertible
    '76 Alfa Spider

Nice write up and photos.
    Bert Jayasekera
    1970 911T - Tangerine Orange
    Early 911S Registry #494
    R Gruppe #167

Quote Originally Posted by eaton View Post
    Great drive. Looks like a blast. If you ever want to make a shorter loop, I'd encourage you to take 12 from Lolo across. And stop in and say hello if you pass through Missoula.
    Thanks eaton
    Oh for sure. HW 12 is beautiful. We'd certainly do that one again. You'll have to join us!
    Bill
    —————
    1969 911T

Quote Originally Posted by Bert View Post
    Nice write up and photos.
    Thanks Bert! Appreciate that.
    Bill
    —————
    1969 911T

GREAT stuff Bill ... Cheers
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109