Thread: Jack for 911 2.2T May 1971

Jack for 911 2.2T May 1971

Hi !

I have been searching for information about which jack would be correct for my May 1971 produced 911 2.2t (USA version).

I don't seem to find elements that allow to decide what I am looking for.

I read that it could be a bilstein, without the top rubber part, with two separate mechanism to raise and lower the car. Some say in 1971 it should be a "D" model ?? When I look at my original instruction manual I see a picture of jack, with top rubber part, one raising-lowering mecanism.

Was Porsche using VW stamped Bilstein jacks as they look so similar ?

What are your views about this ?

Thanks,

Philippe

The 1971 manual shows an older jack from an older model, its not a reference.

Here the info, my 71T had same jack.

Source: Dr.B. Johnson, A restorers Guide to Authenticity

sorry for pics, maybe admin can turn them, thx
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by 72targa; 12-25-2023 at 12:23 AM. Reason: Photo rotation
    Registry member No.773

From my May '71 build (June factory delivery) 2.2T targa, down to the broken rubber connector. Looks like the Johnson jack, just providing more detail.

Name:  IMG_4394.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  202.1 KB

Name:  IMG_4393.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  221.7 KB

Name:  IMG_4395.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  59.2 KB

Name:  IMG_4396.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  74.8 KB

Name:  IMG_4397.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  68.1 KB

And finally, in action. Fortunately Rick's jackpoints are as original as the jack.

Name:  IMG_4398.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  70.2 KB
    MBR #3926
    '71 911 T Targa "Rick White"
    '71 911 E "Karen"
    '70 S/T
    '16 CD
    '10 E61 "Vomit Comet"

Hi!
    Happy New Year.

Thanks for your very accurate information.

What do you mean by the « rubber connector ».

The rubber ring at the top of the shaft looks like an rubber o’ring. Am I correct? I managed to locate a jack similar to Rick’s but the rubber top ring is missing. Any idea where I could get this part as a replacement?

Thanks!

Philippe
    Last edited by 1974phil; 01-04-2024 at 04:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1974phil View Post
    Hi!
    Rick, what do you mean by the « rubber connector ».
    The rubber connector keeps the two (for lack of a better term) lift arms together - you can get it here. You can see it broken on my jack, and in the correct location in Johnson's book.

Sorry, I have no idea on the rubber o-ring, but yes, it does look like a simple o-ring. Maybe reach out to SMC or 914rubber.
    MBR #3926
    '71 911 E "Karen"
    '70 S/T
    '16 CD
    '10 E61 "Vomit Comet"

Hi !
    Many thanks for the link to the rubber connector. Do you disconnect the rubber connector at one end before using the jack, meaning that this connector holds the 2 parts together only for storage?

I have a proper floor jack so I’ve never used the original jack, but I think the rubber thing stays on all of the time as you need both arms to move when raising the jack. I don’t think anyone should be using these jacks for real! Certainly not if you haven’t had the rockers off to ensure the jack points are rust free. Otherwise, that could get mighty expensive and for floor jacks, there are just so many better places to lift these cars.
    MBR #3926
    '71 911 E "Karen"
    '70 S/T
    '16 CD
    '10 E61 "Vomit Comet"