Thread: My Original brakes? 1970 911t (photo)

My Original brakes? 1970 911t (photo)

I have a 911t 1970 and theses front brakes, Original or Not? ( I have 15 years with the car).

Name:  front brakes.jpg
Views: 358
Size:  93.9 KB

To me they look like the big Calipers from the Carrera 3,0, so they areŽnt original on that car. They are to compare with the aluminum calipers from the "S", also available on the "T" for extra money. Maybe the aluminum calipers were replaced by the cast iron calipers caused by corrosion?

Quote Originally Posted by biturm959 View Post
    To me they look like the big Calipers from the Carrera 3,0, so they areŽnt original on that car. They are to compare with the aluminum calipers from the "S", also available on the "T" for extra money. Maybe the aluminum calipers were replaced by the cast iron calipers caused by corrosion?
    Ok Thanks!.

Yes may be, I am looking for these calipers, some one say me is a Mercedes Benz Calipers...

Or also I heard Alfa Romeo calipers from the type 164? They have the same pad size like the "S" calipers and your brake has the big surface like the "S".

I have no idea what those are. They aren’t Porsche, though. Interesting that they have threads in the caliper halves instead of bolts and nuts. It would be great to know the type of strut you have along with the bolt spacing for the caliper mount.

I found!! may be is a Mercedes Benz R107 SL stock brakes ATE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=mvrAmR-Gci4

Another option for the 3.0 spaced struts is a late 70's early 80's Euro BMW 323iS ATE caliper. It uses the same pads as the Alfa. I used the Alfa Brembo's in the past but they flexed too much like the early Aluminum 911S calipers. Think of these BMW calipers as 911SC Ate calipers with a 3.0 mount to the strut. I found a pair a few years ago along with a pair of rear 3.0 Porsche calipers to convert a car to 20mm front and 20mm rear vented rotors. They are a nice upgrade for the 69 912 and early T cars and maybe 914's with solid rotors and a 3.0 mount. They have been restored and are on my shelf. I was going to use them on a 1969 912 POLO car I'm building for a friend. We have decided to go non S Boxsteer Brembo's at all 4 corners as the 2.7 POLO will make 210 to 220 hp. So now they just hang out in a box with an unknown future.

I have always thought the 69 to 71 T's came with solid rotors like the 69 912 from the factory unless ordered with a brake upgrade. If so your picture shows a vented rotor and a ATE caliper. If your struts have a 3.0 caliper mount you might have some kind of Ate upgrade already. I would have to go dig into the box with 323iS calipers and take a look. You might have a set already.
    Last edited by Chris Pomares; 12-11-2023 at 08:06 AM.
    1959 Auratium Green 356A Super w/ Rudge wheels
    1970 Irish Green 914-6 w/2.2S
    Current -1967 Bahama Yellow 912 POLO 2cam4 #1
    www.reSeeWorks.com
    Personalized Vintage Porsche's and parts
    I couldn't find the sports car of my dreams, so I built it myself-Ferdinand Porsche

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Pomares View Post

I have always thought the 69 to 71 T's came with solid rotors like the 69 912 from the factory unless ordered with a brake upgrade. If so your picture shows a vented rotor and a ATE caliper. If your struts have a 3.0 caliper mount you might have some kind of Ate upgrade already. I would have to go dig into the box with 323iS calipers and take a look. You might have a set already.
    Model year 69 was solid, model year 70/71 the 2.2 T got the ventilated discs as standard. I am looking into upgrading the front calipers for my '70T - I believe I have the original cast iron M calipers all round, but I am told I need to upgrade the legs/struts to get "bigger" brakes to fit. Also being guided away from the light alloys found on the S model cars on the basis of flex. Have not settled on a solution yet so happy to hear any constructive suggestions.

J
    S-Reg #3160

Here are a few 323iS caliper pictures along with a picture of the M rears with the vented rotor spacers.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    1959 Auratium Green 356A Super w/ Rudge wheels
    1970 Irish Green 914-6 w/2.2S
    Current -1967 Bahama Yellow 912 POLO 2cam4 #1
    www.reSeeWorks.com
    Personalized Vintage Porsche's and parts
    I couldn't find the sports car of my dreams, so I built it myself-Ferdinand Porsche